Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

96 nanananneeds hehehehhelp

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 PM
gmjunk is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 96 nanananneeds hehehehhelp

I hope you guys can help.
I have a 96 4 door Blazer with 174,000 miles That just cuts out under moderate to hard acceleration cold or hot. Swapped out TPS, coil pack, plugs,wires,MAF. These were used parts as money is tight. Fuel press checks out, Starts right up every day, idles good .
History,
2nd Tranny( this one completely gutted)
2ns Transfer case
Sat for a year as a home for destitute mice(air box-evicted) & squirrel perch
Was given to me after previous owner was fed up after spending 800.00 on new fuel pump and had problem just much worse.
I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned old MAF sensor, Cleaned EGR, new air filter, cleared all codes.
Ran really good for a month. Than started bogging out. Sometimes i can hammer it and its there other time i have to pull to the side and let traffic go by. I had a 2000 before and was able to fix that one, but this one is just making me pull my hair out and i don't have much left. Just cleaned EGR again today didnt seam to have an effect, was stuck though . Last resort would be to pull out in front of a Ferrari and let them fix it

Old 02-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Starting Member
Nvidia78 is on a distinguished road

cuts out, or bogs down? I would check to see if the catalytic converter is plugged, is the Blazer throwing and codes?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 PM

No codes now, had an evap code but that wouldn't cause this big of problem, cat u think. Maybe I'll core it and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply! Any other ideas? Second gear at high RPM to get up hills is getting old. If i lug it that's when it starts ,anything under 2500 up an incline or straight,I have to manually shift to get the RPM's up high enough so i stay with the flow other wise ill get run over.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 PM

P.S.
The pic on your post is the same as mine. Let me guess tan interior?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Starting Member
Nvidia78 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gmjunk
P.S.
The pic on your post is the same as mine. Let me guess tan interior?
Yeah mine is tan and leather

Last edited by Nvidia78; 02-23-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM

My question is, Why has gm never recalled these? Every 2nd gen has the same issue. If this was an import people would be all over them. Even the full size trucks have these issues. Sad

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A recall for what exactly?? A 14 year old vehicle is bound to have issues...

Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

No codes now, had an evap code but that wouldn't cause this big of problem, cat u think. Maybe I'll core it and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply! Any other ideas? Second gear at high RPM to get up hills is getting old. If i lug it that's when it starts ,anything under 2500 up an incline or straight,I have to manually shift to get the RPM's up high enough so i stay with the flow other wise ill get run over.
yup, i'd say 99.9% sure it's the cat. without physically driving it, can't be 100% though.

reason;
- your high RPM's in a lower gear-just to keep up.
^^^ with the above condition, you probably have loud air intake noise (almost sounds like the air breather was left off a carb'd engine)

drop the exhaust and have a peek inside, it'll either be melted (clogged), or broken & clogging up the exhaust.

Originally Posted by swartlkk
A recall for what exactly??
were you refering to the (possible) cat issue? or the truck in general?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 PM

I'll pull the cat this weekend see if it cures it. As far as my recall statment, the hole line. Not just my 14 yr old blazer,but what about all the newer ones even the trucks. Dont get me wrong Ive worked on or been around GM cars & trucks for 20+ years, I would not hesitate buying a pre 80s GM. but the recent stuff just falls apart or wears premature. My 2000 blazer,door hinges, front bearings, ball joints,fuel pump, after 2 years and 80,000 miles, the 96 has or having same issues. How many of you guys out there have the same probs as these. Its just sad, I used to be the biggest GM fan. Any way guys thanks for the advice, Ill try removing the cat and post back.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My 2000 blazer,door hinges, front bearings, ball joints,fuel pump, after 2 years and 80,000 miles, the 96 has or having same issues. How many of you guys out there have the same probs as these.
Nothing you have mentioned is recall worthy.