Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

96 s-10 transmission rebuild problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Starting Member
woody3e is on a distinguished road
Default 96 s-10 transmission rebuild problems

I am hoping that someone can help me with this problem. I have a 96 S-10 4 door blazer (awd). The transmission originally went bad, so my mechanic which rebuilds transmissions (which is a good and competent mechanic) rebuilt the transmission for me. I picked up from and drove for a few days with no problems. After 4 days of driving, I began to notice a slipping like problem in the shifting from the upper end of 2nd gear into 3rd. This only happens when there are higher rpm's involved, seems to happen at and above 1800 or so, at lower rpms, it will shift ok. No other gears are affected like this. Also there were no downshifting problems, only on the up-shifting. I called him to let him know that we had a problem and took it back to him. Long story short, he started with known things that can cause a problem to now haven taken transmission out and apart 3 times looking for a culprit/broken part. The transmission shows no wear on the rings or broken parts, bearings have been replaced again. Shift solenoids have been cleared through dianogists. My mechanic is stumped on this, also he has spoken to a another transmission garage with them telling him that they also have 3 other blazers with the same problem and can not find a cause as to why this is happening. Any input or information that can be given to me would be very appreciated. I have now spent to much$$$ to turn back now. Thanks to all

Woody

Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did the problem occur prior to the rebuild? If not, then something was botched during the rebuild plain and simple. It could be a cut o-ring on the 2-4 servo or possibly an over-sized 2-3 feed hole in the separator plate. Also, the stack clearance in the 3-4 clutch could be excessive (should be 0.010-0.040) and the 2-4 servo travel should be 0.062 to 0.125.

There is a bunch of info out there about the 4L60E 2-3 shift flare.

If the problem was present before the rebuild, then it could be caused by the PCM. Sonnax released an article, 4L60-E flares on 2-3 shift, that details the condition and possible PCM impact.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Starting Member
woody3e is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply and input. The transmission was ok prior to just going bad after 175 k of ruff miles, general transmission slippage in 2 and 4th gears and u could tell the rings were wore and ring gear broke. All new parts have been placed twice now with the same result of the slippage.

Woody

Old 02-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road

How much did it cost for the original rebuild and removal/installation?