Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 Blazer Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:39 PM
BuddyJoe is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer Blown Head Gasket

I have 97 Blazer i believe the head gasket is blown.Its blowing steam out the tailpipe, the coolant is disappearing out the radiator, but its not running real hot only reaching 210. Its still running perfect like always. Has 224k miles. Wondering if its worth fixing or put another 4.3 in it. And if anyone in South Louisiana has a good running 4.3

Old 12-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

do a cooling system pressure check first. I would bet on a intake gasket failure over the head gasket. It explains everything you're dealing with. If you have a 1997 and especially if you're running dexcool, your intake manifold gaskets are probably trashed. Such was the case with my 2000 Jimmy. I was losing fluid, was not overheating, the oil was filled coolant, and the car failed a cooling system pressure test. After pulling the upper and lower intake manifolds, my gaskets were TRASHED, my coolant was draining into the top of the engine, I had a few clogged intake ports, and EVERYTHING from my airbox to my distributor was coated with a thick, melted milk chocolate looking fluid, the result of the antifreeze and water combining with the oil. Here's a video I made after pulling it all apart.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:46 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

If it were me to a cooling system pressure test to find your leak.My neighbor had a similar problem on his 96 chevy truck,ran fine but was leaking antifreeze inside the engine.It ended up being the intake gasket.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 12-26-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks i really appreciate the help

Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Default Failed pressure test

It failed the pressure test. Mine isnt as bad as iamchevy's but i see the melted milkshake in the oil filler neck. So gotta definitely change the oil again, changed it the day before this happened. I got the gasket set gonna tackle it in the morning. Im pretty mechanically inclined so shouldn't be too bad. Used to older vehicle though. Anybody got any tips or tricks i should know about.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Question

so your leak ended up being on the intake gaskets?

Old 12-27-2013, 05:52 PM

Yeah it was on the lower intake gasket in the front just barely. I replaced the gaskets today they fell apart when i opened it up, but it wasn't too bad under there. I can see where the coolant was going passed the gasket.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BuddyJoe
Yeah it was on the lower intake gasket in the front just barely. I replaced the gaskets today they fell apart when i opened it up, but it wasn't too bad under there. I can see where the coolant was going passed the gasket.
You're quick. I took several days to finish that job.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 AM

I had help by somebody that done it before, but i messed up, the distributor turned when i took it out.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member
teklife256 is on a distinguished road

My 1999 is having a similar issue with white exhaust and losing coolant. I can see where the intake manifold meets the heads there is coolant escaping. My thought was failed head gaskets allowing coolant into the combustion chamber and then burning off. I would be wrong about this and have the intake gaskets be the problem. How can I be certain that it is the intake manifold leaking and not the heads?

Last edited by teklife256; 04-22-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 97 Blazer Blown Head Gasket