Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 Blazer losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Beginning Member
Krista Aman-Widgren is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer losing coolant

Hi all. I have a 97 Blazer that has disappearing coolant. It has a new water pump and I had the coolant flushed. There are NO visible leaks and a leak test failed to show the source of the lost coolant. I don't smell coolant and the oil does not have any sign of coolant in it. My mechanic does not want to start changing parts without knowing for sure what is the cause, but I can't afford to keep adding coolant every week.

I have read that these vehicles tend to have issues with the intake manifold gasket but shouldn't there be some sort of visible antifreeze if that is the problem?

Advice is appreciated.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Beginning Member

Well since these vehicles have issues with the intake manifold gasket, I am going to just have my mechanic go ahead and replace that part. I also read about people changing out the radiator cap, so I will have that done too. Whoever designed those radiator caps sure missed that mark on that one. Those caps are stupid and hard to get off! Replacing the intake manifold gasket will cost me close to $300, so I hope that fixes the mystery of the disappearing coolant.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Beginning Member
Default Blazer losing coolant...update

Ok I took my Blazer for a drive today and when I turn the heat on there is the faint odor of antifreeze. So now I am thinking...heater core is going out. Can anyone confirm that?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 PM
mossy500 is on a distinguished road

Had the same problem changed the intake gaskets that fixed it for me. The heater could be pulling the smell of coolant from the engine compartment.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM
mossy500 is on a distinguished road

Also i had no coolant on the outside of the motor but had to keep adding talked to a guy were i work and he helped me figure it out. He was a mechanic still does some on the side

Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

if you smell coolant when the heats on,i bet cha the heater core is bad.

Do this for kicks. ask him to bypass the core for a bit. shouldnt cost much. just a brass flared coupling to connect the lines together with. Drive it around for a week or 2,and see if coolant issues stopped,if so theres your issue. No sense is spending 300 for a gasket job before you test it right? hurry up and get it done as its getting chilly. lol

bypassed core=no heat.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 AM
DesertStorm is on a distinguished road

i had the same issue on mine. I was loosing about a gallon every 100 miles.. i know its taboo to a lot of people but i put in 4 of the bars leak seal tabs and filled it with fresh coolant. been going good now for about 500 miles with no more leaks/running hot.

cost = $5

Old 11-05-2013, 11:54 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DesertStorm
i had the same issue on mine. I was loosing about a gallon every 100 miles.. i know its taboo to a lot of people but i put in 4 of the bars leak seal tabs and filled it with fresh coolant. been going good now for about 500 miles with no more leaks/running hot.

cost = $5
I do not recommend this, at all. Fix it the right way.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Beginning Member

It is already too cold here in North Idaho to go without heat. I also refuse to put stop leak in my system, it gums up the whole thing and I just spent $84 having my system flushed. I am taking her to a Radiator shop on Monday to have him figure out where the leak is.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Dark Rider is on a distinguished road

Let us know how it turns out. I too am having a leak, fortunately (or unfortunately) I found it. I rented a coolant system pressure tester and sure enough it is leaking at the intake manifold gasket on both sides of the manifold.... Yeay.

Quick Reply: 97 Blazer losing coolant