Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 Blazer starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:19 PM
sunliner is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer starting problem

Hi all!
Got a starting problem.
It’s a 97 Blazer, 4.3 6 cylinder CMFI with about 150,000 miles on it. Bear with me…I’m giving the whole story…
The basic problem is that the starter will operate but will have trouble turning the motor over-but only intermittently. It will start just fine for a week or two, then act up for a few days. When it’s acting up, the engine will crank eventually but takes a few seconds.
This began last October. I replaced the battery, thinking maybe it wasn’t delivering enough juice and since the truck still had the original starter, I replaced that too. Worked fine for a couple days, but the original problem came back for about a week. I checked the battery cable and every ground I could locate and load-tested the battery & could find nothing wrong. The problem went away for several months. Acted up a couple times in February, once or twice in April and worked fine up until last week when the same thing started happening.
The other day, a new problem came up: When I turned the key to “on” (not to crank position) the gauges wouldn’t move and I didn’t hear the fuel pump energize. I tapped the gear shift once and it worked/started fine but I think that was a coincidence because it only worked one time. Otherwise sometimes the gauges and pump would work and othertimes not.
So….knowing that the 97’s have a problem with ignition switches, I replaced that this past Friday. (Third one that this truck has had over the years). That seems to have fixed the issue with the gauges and fuel pump starting. Also, the fuel filter was WAY overdue for replacing, so I put a new one in yesterday.
Now I’m back at the original problem though. Intermittent hard starting. The fact that I do hear the pump with key on tells me that the relay is working (I think) . I’m off to the store now to see if I can get a fuel pressure gauge to see how much pressure I’m getting.
Any ideas on what else it could be?
Thanks for reading!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member
bjamick is on a distinguished road

Check and clean all your grounds.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 AM
sunliner is on a distinguished road

all the ones I could find are clean, but I don't know how many there are...could be missing some.

I did find that my fuel pressure is low...never got even close to 60 psi and it bleeds down IMMEDIATELY when the ignition is shut off instead of holding like it's supposed to. looks like either fuel pump and/or pressure regulator is going.
only thing is..the problem is intermittent...it still cranks perfectly sometimes but slow other times

thanks