Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 blazer transmission 1st & 3rd gears only??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member
zionatdirt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 blazer transmission 1st & 3rd gears only??

Hello all...I am the new owner of a 97 blazer with a bad transmission.I have learned that people who already own these trucks will be the best to help. History: she said one day it started out from 1st gear,banged into 3rd(skipping second) and never shifted to overdrive (no reverse either).She parked it.I have acquired it for my 15 yr old daughter.I drove it home and yes it is exactly as described.Before I left I checked the trans fluid,it didn't register on the dipstick while running.Two qts topped it off and the trans fluid looked clean.I drove it home with 1st & 3rd seemingly working fine.I am not familiar with Chevy so I am looking for 2-3 starting points for diagnosis.Usually when I help others I start with the best scenarios first getting to the worst.I am not really in a hurry but certainly curious as to what kind of deal I got for $300 in trade.Thanks in advance to anyone who can get me started. Dave

Old 09-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 blazer transmission 1st & 3rd gears only??

Busted sunshell. Common in the early 4L60E transmission. If you are confident enough to rebuild it yourself, more power to you. I just had a coworker have his sunshell replaced by a local shop (no rebuild) for roughly $500.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Beginning Member

Well that was easy...thanks Kyle.I will start learning about this "sunshell" Dave[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 09-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this thread:
4L60E Tranny Rebuild Thread - by Tim Hanr (hanr3)

I highly recommend you buy the ASTG manuals for the 4L60E if you are considering doing this yourself.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 AM
bzmotoninja83 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same problem in my 94 s10 4.3. the local trans shop said i had "snapped" the band for 2+4th gear.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

The key is in the "no reverse either" statement. I am very confident that the reaction sunshell is the cause of this problem.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info...still trying to decide if this is worth fixing.These threads sure are helpful,thanks.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Beginning Member

I feel confident it is the sun shell gear.I have an uncle that lives 6hrs away who is retired willing to help and has a heated garage with lots of tools.My question is: Should I risk driving that far with the transmission in its current state. 1st & 3rd seem to work real strong.I have driven 80 miles already in this current situation.Any thoughts would be appreciated. Dave

Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member

One other thing.I crawled under there but how do I find out for sure what model transmission I have.Want to be sure before I order parts.It did come with a factory towing package. Thanks much, Dave

Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
smdepew1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

look to see if you have a case oil pan or a stamped steel one...my 96 has the 2 peice case

Quick Reply: 97 blazer transmission 1st & 3rd gears only??