Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 Chevy Blazer erratic fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Starting Member
joonbugg82 is on a distinguished road

I have a 97 Chevy Blazer that I just started having a problem with. First the fuel gauge became violently erratic. Second, when driving the vehicle it would shut off on the interstate and I would have to put it in neutral and restart it. I didn't have any trouble getting it to fire back up at that point. The whole ride the truck was jerking and kept acting like it was going to shut off. Stopped at Auto Zone on the way to have them scan it with their cheap scanner and got a code for cylinder #2 misfire. I hot the truck home and parked it and haven't been able to move it since. It cranks and cranks and cranks but has trouble turning over. Will fire up on occasion at a high RPM, only to shut off within seconds. Someone please help with this! I don't even know where to begin. This is the only vehicle I have at the moment! Thanks in advance!

On my own post.....I'm thinking to begin with the fuel pump. I hear it come on but it doesn't have the hum it used to. Can anyone give me some ways to test the pump to see if that is the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-01-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel pressure test?? (link in my signature)

Please be patient and edit your post if you have additional information to include.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 AM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep check your fuel pressure as swartlkk said. Its pretty easy just follow that link in his sig.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Very similar problem I am chasing right now. I am chasing a short in the 5vdc reference from the C3 connector on the VCM. Suspect a shorted sensor or wiring damage. The same 5vdc refence voltage that powers the TPS, map TPS and FTP sensors also go to the fuel level sender. His symptoms are identicle. Let me know if you find it!!! Good Luck!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Found the FTP sensor shorted to ground. It was killing the 5 volt reference going to several sensors. INCLUDING the fuel guage! The fuel guage went all the way to the 3 O'clock position when the truck was acting up. Once I replaced the faulty sensor the truck runs normally and the fuel guage reads what it should again. Swartlkk - I dont know if you are responsible for the DTC troubleshooting links, But they are great! i appreciate the time you put into it to have them here. I would have never suspected a fuel tank pressure sensor would kill my truck! Thank you for saving me time and money!

Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Starting Member
kfhomedude is on a distinguished road

i have a 97 gmc jimmy 4.3 i have some of the same symptoms as others. my gas gauge goes eratic i can crank and crank but it wont fire. if i pour fuel into the throttle body i can get it to start then i can get it to start and it will stay running but after i shut it off and it cools down then i got to pour gas in the throttle body again to get it to start. could this be as simple as replacing the fuel pressure sensor as well or could it be the spider injector

Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Starting Member
atvrep1 is on a distinguished road

where is the FTP sensor and what does it do? mine is having a very similar issue

Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM
SpeedAddict81 is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread, but since someone else dredged it up....I just got an '01 Xtreme and am having the erratic fuel gauge problem. Also getting blinking SES on the highway (which I understand to indicate a misfire). I just had the engine replaced, was considering new fuel pump and filter, cap and rotor.

Where is the FTP sensor (I don't have a haynes or shop manual yet), and should I just replace that while I'm at it?

Old 10-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Beginning Member
blazetheroad is on a distinguished road

I'm also having the same problem. My fuel gauge doesn't know where it wants to be. Sometimes it'll want to stay full then fluctuate down to a quarter of a tank.... Along with that, sometimes my Blazer will only get to 10 MPH and start sounding like its flooded, then the check engine light comes on.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Beginning Member
dave39 is on a distinguished road

i gaurantee this will solve your problem. change the fuel pump and STRAINER THE STRAINER IS CLOGGED WITH **** FROM TANK MY MAZDA DID THIS IT WOULD JERK VIOLENTLY OR BUCK IT RUNS SMOOTH SOMETIMES AND JERKS OTHERS AND ENDS UP GETTING WORSE OVER TIME A FUEL PRESSURE TEST WILL NOT TELL YOU IF PUMPS BAD ITS THE STRAINER ON BOTTOM OF PUMP SO THE PUMP WILL BE GOING DUE TO THE PLASTIC GEARS THEY PUT IN THEM. AND OVERWORKING HEAT KILLS PLASTIC PARTS SO DONT JUST CHANGE THE STRAINER OR YOULL BE DROPPING THE TANK AGAIN TO CHANGE PUMP WARRANTIES EXPLAINS BOTH NEED BE CHANGERD FOR IT TO APPLY. IVE GOT EXTRA PUMPS BRAND NEW HEAVY DUTY FOR FULL SIZE CHEVY TRUCKS THAT WILL AND GO INTO BLAZERS AND IVE GOT AN OEM ONE NEW NEED IT CONTACT ME ALL YOU NEED THEN IS THE STRAINER. IT TAKES ABOUT 1.5 HOURS TO DO ENTIRE JOB PRETTY EASY LRT ME KNOW YOUR RESPONSE GOES TO MY EMAIL SO FREE PUMP IF YOU NEED OR WANT IOT SAVES U 100 AT LEAST STRAINER COSTS ABOUT 10 DOLLARS SORRY I FORGOT ABOUT YOUR SENDING UNIT PROBLEM ITS THE GROUND THE PLUG TO THE FUEL PUMP IN THE TANK CONNECTED TO PUMP ITS GROUNDING OUT ON THE METAL BRACKET THE PUMP SITS IN USE A LITTLE ZIP STRIP TO TIE IT AWAY FROM GROUNDING OUT SIMPLE FIX BUT YOUR STRAINER IS CAUSING THE JERKING AND THE DROP IN FUEL PRESSURE THATS CAUSING THE MAIN PROBLEM I GAURANTEE IT SO CHANGE BOTH PUMP AND STRAINER AND TIE THE GROUND WIRE AWAY FROM THE HOUSING THE PUMP GOES TO THAT WILL FIX YOUR GAS GAUGE PROBLEM AND YOUR JERKING PROBLEM. I HAVE A BRAND NEW TANK AND PUMP AND STRAINER FROM MY 95 BLAZER SITTING IN ATTIC BRAND NEW NEVER INSTALLED BECAUSE I BOUGHT MY 96 AND PARTED OUT MY 95 LET ME KNOW 100 TAKES IT ALL OR LIKE I SAID HAVE PUMPS 2 NEW WILL GIVE FOR FREE JUST HAVE TO BUY THE STRAINER LET ME KNOW. GOOD LUCK I GAURANTEE ITS STRAINER CAUSING JERKING BUCKING CRAP AND I KNOW 100 PERCENT THAT THE GROUND ON THE PUMP PLUG IS GROUNDING WHEN THE GAS SLOSHES AROUND IT GROUNDS AND READS AND THEN IT TOUCHES THE GROUND TOUCHES THE BRACKET AND READS FULL EMPTY OR ANYTHING BUT WHAT IT REALLY IS.THIS HAPPENS BECAUSE THE WIRES ARE SLIGHTLY UNWRAPPED ON THE PUMP ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR AND THE GROUND TOUCHES THE BRACKET AND FREAKS OUT SOMETIMES IT JUST BOUNCES ALL OVER THE PLACE. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR PROBLEM IS WITH THE FUEL PUMP CONNECTOR THE PINS THAT CONNECT THE PUMP TO THE PLUG ARE WORN OUT CAUSING THE FUEL PUMP TO WORK AND NOT WORK MY 95 BLAZER USED TO DO THIS CHANGE THE PUMP AND STRAINER AND NO PROBLEMS ACCEPT I HAD TO TIE THE GROUND FROM GROUNDING OUT FOR GAS GAUGE TO WORK THE FUEL SYTEM YOU MAKE SURE YOUR NOT HEARRING THE PUMP RELAY ENGAGING IN THE GLOVEBOX IT SHOULD CLICK AND THEN THE PUMP WILL PRIME YOU SHOULD HEAR 3 SECONDS OF PUMP PRIMING THEN SHUTS OFF TILL TRUCKS RUNNING. IF YOUR NOT HEARRING THE WHINNING OF THE PUMP THEN THE STRAINER BEEING DIRTY HAS WORN PUMP OUT REMEMBER THEY USE PLASTIC GEARS IN THESE PUMPS AND WEAR OUT FROM OVER HEATING TRYING TO PUMP WHATS NEEDED TO RUN VEHICLE.

Last edited by dave39; 10-28-2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: FORGOT PERTINENT INFORMATION

Quick Reply: 97 Chevy Blazer erratic fuel gauge