Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 Chevy Blazer won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Starting Member
Enemy of One is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Chevy Blazer won't start?

My friends 97 Chevy Blazer won't start.. It turns but it won't catch.. We've tried tapping the starter, we checked the relays inside the glove box and on the fire wall. No visible damage. The battery is fine, we have a full tank. The relays in the glove box are clicking..

Can anyone help me out? Any suggestions/ideas/clues whatever would help. Also if you don't mind could you also include the location of things.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

'turns but wont catch'
Does that mean you hear the starter running but the engine doesnt turn?

Replace starter. Could be the solenoid pin to the bendix {gear engage} lever is broke/disconnected but why mess around.

If the engine IS turning, one of you go to rear of truck while other just switches ignition on.. no crank.. do you hear a motor running for two seconds? That would be the fuel pump. If not, there's no fuel to the engine.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-19-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Starting Member

It's turning over, the starter is slipping, but it's not firing..

..Not really in the position to replace the starter.. So that's not really an option at the moment. Pretty much just looking for a quick fix. I've got a special needs dog at home 3 hours away that needs attention. So replacing it right now is not at all an option..

Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Enemy of One
It's turning over, the starter is slipping, but it's not firing..

..Not really in the position to replace the starter.. So that's not really an option at the moment. Pretty much just looking for a quick fix. I've got a special needs dog at home 3 hours away that needs attention. So replacing it right now is not at all an option..
Well I still dont know because I dont understand "the starter is slipping"

THE ENGINE is either turning with the starter or it isnt.

NOW READ THIS vvvvvv
If the engine IS turning, one of you go to rear of truck while other just switches ignition on.. no crank.. do you hear a motor running for two seconds? That would be the fuel pump. If not, there's no fuel to the engine.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Got it?

Now here's the only possible quick fix, given the difficulty in communicating here.

If you dont hear the fuel pump find something like a 2x4 board about two feet long and smack the bottom of the fuel tank with it flat.. like you were try to make a loud noise.. do it hard as you can just after your friend turns the key on.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Starting Member

Yeah, they think it's the fuel pump now.. I'm sorry. I don't know about cars or engines. ..I'm just the one that searches as to what might be wrong. I asked what that means and he said "They should know."
Anyway I guess they're changing the fuel filter. The engine started responding after they poured gas in it (or something) so now they're going to try and change the filter.. However now it's just about locating it..

Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
BF Veteran

Why are they changing the filter? If the car was running okay before it would not start, it almost certainly is not the fuel filter. Filter is passive.. has nothing to do with the pump being able to run.

You either heard the pump running or didnt. If you didnt, then a smack with the board on the tank often shocks it into running.

But it has to be done about a second after turning the key on. Try it several times.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-19-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Starting Member

Ok, they listened for it, didn't hear it. So they're going to try what you said. Hopefully it works. Thanks so much.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Starting Member

Ok, they listened for it, didn't hear it. So they're going to try what you said. Hopefully it works. Thanks so much.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Starting Member

Didn't work.. So I'm guessing we need a new fuel pump then?

Sorry didn't mean for the double post above.

Last edited by Enemy of One; 02-19-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

did you check the fuses ? how about swapping the fuel pump relay

Quick Reply: 97 Chevy Blazer won't start?