Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 4.3 vortec intake gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Beginning Member
Speedvoyager is on a distinguished road
Default 98 4.3 vortec intake gasket change

Hello, So I started to change my intake gaskets on my 98 Blazer with 125k miles on it. I really appreciate all the help here with the other post that are on this subject and the great links to the pics that I have found. So here is the little problem That I have encountered so far. Just to preface this I am a weekend warrior or backyard sunday type Mechanic. I've been doing the research on this and everyone says the same thing which is " once you have the wiring harrness disconnected you can lay it over to the passenger side to get it out of the way" Well for me thats not the case or i'm just not doing it right it is connected on the drivers side to the fuse/relay box goes over the top of the motor and meets up with the wiring harrness that runs on top of the left bank valve cover which goes to the back of the motor and to the front headlight area. but I can't see a way to just get it out of the way when I go to pull the intake off. sorry for it being so long just wanted to make sure I got it all in.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Disconnect as much as possible, within reason, then use a bungee cord, hang it up out of the way, as much as possible, from the hood. The manifold will come out without too much fooling around. Maybe have an assistant hold it out of the way on the install.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Captain I took the fuse relay box loose which gave me a couple of more inches of play. There is a bolt on the bottom of the fuse box that looks like it if I take it out that end of the cable would unplug but I havent tried that yet before asking if that is a good Idea. Oher then that its all going well

Old 02-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You're asking for trouble disconnecting the fuse panel Did you remove the upper plenum, (black plastic) from the lower intake manifold? Makes it much easier if it's removed.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member

No i haven't done that but was thinking about it. I'll leave the fuse box alone with the harness up there is enough room now to get the intake off more when i take the black plemun off. Thanks again

Last edited by Speedvoyager; 02-28-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 PM

Much easier to install without the plenum and throttle body. When you set the lower intake, be very careful to set it straight down, don't slide it to line up the bolt holes. Felpro MS98002T gasket set is "the answer". If installed correctly and tightened in the proper sequence with the correct torque, they will not leak.

Name:  IntakeManifold001-Copy.jpg
Views: 10980
Size:  58.9 KB

Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Starting Member
bryanbc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Speedvoyager
No i haven't done that but was thinking about it. I'll leave the fuse box alone with the harness up there is enough room now to get the intake off more when i take the black plemun off. Thanks again
I took the middle plug out from underneath the fuse box when i pulled my motor and didnt have any problems plugging it back in and screwing it back in

Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 AM
trouble7636 is on a distinguished road

I did the intakes the other day and followed the thread I found here. And unfortunately my problem was worse( cracked head blown head gasket) but I found I didn't have to take as much off as shown in the step by step thread and now today after the third time it takes about an hour to pull upper and lower .I just unplugged all I could not touching fuse box and pulled mine to the front and had all the room in the world to work

Old 03-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Beginning Member

Great thanks for all the help . I am more worried about getting it on straight as to not mess up the silicone thinking of some sort of hoist to hang it and lower it. I bought that felpro kit and figured to change the valve covers at the same time. was surprise at how much oil was on the valve covers must have been leaking for sometime. The last item that I need to figure out is the torque I've got the specs for it I just don't have an in/lb wrench and want to know the easiest way to convert to ft/lb or find one to barrow. RIght I haven't taken off the fan cause I don't have the tools to do it but its really not in the way. Sorry to hear about your cracked head I'm just hopping that I don't run into the same thing.

Last edited by Speedvoyager; 03-01-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 AM
trouble7636 is on a distinguished road

The guy I bought it from two years ago really neglected it and he had told me he had a heater core leak and used 8 bottles of stop leak. So I knew this day was coming. But when I did the intake it doesn't weigh very much so lowering it straight down isn't bad. And I'm sure you can either buy one like I did( couldn't find mine so now I have two) it was $25 bucks at autozone and I know the ones around here you can rent one or just put a refundable deposit. Good luck to you. I'm getting ready to go get some re manufactured heads now so I can get my beast back on the road.

Quick Reply: 98 4.3 vortec intake gasket change