Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 blazer 4x4 in and out of overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:04 PM
shawn89 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 blazer 4x4 in and out of overdrive

Well I've had my blazer for about a year now and ever since I've had it is has always done this.

Going down the freeway when truck is at normal temp it will kick out of overdrive if I let out of the gas a little, but as soon as I push back down on the gas it will go back in untill I let off again.

I can't seem to figure out what is is, can someone help me please? Thank you.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How are you determining that it is kicking out of overdrive?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Watching the rpm go from 2k up to 3k then back down. I can shift it into 3rd and the rpms only go up a little. I also have 2 codes coming up, 1 for evap emission control system vent circut, and 2 bank 1 sensor 3 o2. I don't know if either of these have anything to do with it but ill put it out there.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The RPMs raise up when you let off the pedal?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Yes, but not like normal downshifting. At time I can cruise 65-70mph and it will not go into overdrive untill I step on the gas a little harder then it will.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Almost sounds like it is your torque converter unlocking and then locking back up. You may have a bad torque converter...

Old 04-25-2010, 05:44 PM

Just to cover all bases is there any kind of sensor or andythinf els that could do this?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

The TCC solenoid in the pan could have an affect on this, however, it should set a code.

You may want to consider getting it looked at by a few different transmission shops. With a scan tool, you can monitor the torque converter. Transmission shops should be able to do this as well as monitor other things pertinent (line pressure, etc) to the occurrence.

I say that the TC may be going out because it shouldn't allow that much of a rise in RPM.

Are your brake lights working properly? One thing just occurred to me. If the brake switch closes, it will cause the torque converter to unlock.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:49 PM

Would a actron scaner read this? I know they don't read codes for transmissions. Also where could I find pics of the tcc soleniod?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Probably not. You typically need a full feature scan tool would be able to monitor the transmission and the status of its various components.

Quick Reply: 98 blazer 4x4 in and out of overdrive