Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Beginning Member
WiSe KiD is on a distinguished road
Post 98 Blazer

Hi
How are you guys doing … I kinda need a big help … I have no idea wat is wrong with my blazer … I think it’s the gear box
For example If I drive in 80kmhr – 100kmhr (or more) for more than 10 – 15 minits, then come to zero and drive again it seems very hard to get to 2nd gear
(its automatic transmission BTW) the whole car shakes and make’s noise. But if I park my car and turn it down and start again everything is back to normal.
Also gear respond is kinda late.
Another problem I think its related to above mentioned problem is “RPM”. My mechanic told me that the car takes more RPM and delivers less power. WTF does it mean?? I don’t know . Also I noticed that no matter how hard I try to accelerate RPM will not go more than 3 (in the gauge) and top speed is 120kmhr – 130kmhr. My mechanic also saying that gear is not shifting more than 3, he advised me for gear box repair, (but he can not guaranty that it will be fixed ).
I don’t know what to do. Please guys I need some help.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely sounds like you are not getting all of the gears. What happens when you pull the gear shift lever down to 1st gear while stopped and try to accelerate? At what speeds and RPMs does the transmission shift while acting up and how many times does it shift while acting up?

It sounds like you are missing 1st and 4th which could be from a shift solenoid A failure or a failure in the circuit controlling solenoid A. This should be something fairly easy for a transmission shop to diagnose and cheap for them to repair as well.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Beginning Member

am gonna check it out tonight ...
thanx alot man ... this forum is awesome ... lovin it ...

Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

yes it is & we all do

Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Beginning Member

ok in first gear it will go like around 10 - 15 mhr (after that it sound ike engine gonna blow up, no gear changes)

in normal drive gear change happens when RPM showing 2 or around 2.

first gear change happens when speed reach to 10 - 15mhr, 2nd gear change happens when the speed is 20 - 25mhr... after that i don't really feel any gear change

Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to assume that your truck has 205/70R15 tires and 3.42 gearing.

It definitely sounds like you have a serious problem with your transmission. 1st gear should wind out to around 35-40MPH, not 15.

When you are referencing the speed/rpm at which a gear shift takes place, is that under light throttle? What are the full throttle values?

Old 12-25-2010, 02:53 AM
Beginning Member

i dont know bout the tires ... as far as i know they are all stock .
about the RPM, gear shifts when RPM reach around 2 ... full throttle 3 , 3 n half.