Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 blazer trannie problems, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Beginning Member
brian r is on a distinguished road

hey guys, and gals, i bought a 98 chevy blazer from my brother when the transmission decided it would retire. what happened was the trans would shift from first to second, but not drive or overdrive. not even maually shifting it. so i went and bought a trans from a junk yard with a warrenty that it will be good. we put it in and it wont shift out of first gear. has reverse, but wont shift manually out of first gear. i read about the speed control sensor in another ost on here, when we had the trans out i looked at the plugs and wires, they all looked good. i dont know exactly whitch one is the speed control though. there was three electric plugs on the trans, the two that plug by the shifter linkage and one one the other side close to the dipstick. it is a 4l60e trans. the motor is a 4.3. it is 4x4, the vacum lines that go to the transfer case were all ok. if it was the shift silonoid youd be able to shift it manually right? or am i thinking aobut the wrong thing all togather. any help you can give will be so appreciated. we have a haynes manual, but it is pretty vague on the transmission section. i got the blazer for 300.00, spent 350.00 ont the transmission, so i didnt do real bad. the guy at the junkyard said he had another one he can pull and swap out with me, just trying to keep from pulling it out if i dont have to. not an easy job laying on the ground, getting it out is easy lol, it is getting in that gets ya. thanks again, brian

after reading some other posts on here, i went back and check a few things. the abs light comes on and goes off intermittantly. the speed odometer works, i check all my fuses and found the only fuse blown was for the cig lighter, i replaced itand drove it down te road and it still wont shift out of first. so now im lost.

Last edited by rriddle3; 04-03-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Combining consecutive posts. Please use the ';edit' button to add to your post if nobody has yet responded.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:32 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

You cannot force a manual shift through the gearshifter. Everything in this trans is computer controlled. I would try to find a code reader that will display live data while you are driving it. Take a look to see what the computer is seeing. Good luck