Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 HAS ENGINE MISS AT 60 TO 70 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 98 HAS ENGINE MISS AT 60 TO 70 MPH

ORIGINAL: chevcamls1

how u reset timing?
You don't.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Beginning Member
sh1520 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Amxal--I also live in the chicago area (well more near the Wis. border) and am having the same exact problems you are with the wet weather. However, it was doing the same thing last spring, and I changed the wires, cap and rotor, and it solved the problem. That is until now. My SES light is also on, and they told me the same things about the gas cap, and multiple misfires. I find it hard to believe that I need to change the wires, cap and rotor again though. Maybe I need a new coil?? Anyway, let me know what happens with you. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 AM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

ORIGINAL: chevcamls1

how u reset timing?
You don't.
Is the 98 motor DIS? If not, then BASE timing MUST be set.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot set the base timing on the '96+ motors. The distributor hold down clamp fits onto a square drive on the base of the distributor. There is no adjustment that can be set, period. The only thing you can do is make sure you are on the right tooth down at the cam gear. The rest is handled by the PCM.

And no, it is not DIS (distributorless ignition system).

Old 01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
amxal is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, you cannot do anything with the timing for a 98, just drop the dist. into the right tooth. I tried the trick of spraying a fine mist of water on the engine, (wires, cap, plugs) last night and I found nothing....no light show. I have not changed the coil and to the best of my knowledge it is original. The thought of replacing the wires,cap and rotor has passed my mind, except I've done it 2 times in the last 2 years, I am using AC Platinum Plus plugs, the best Napa wires, cap and rotor (I did not go cheap) I have had to replace the cap 3 times, the last time (before the new dist) I puta bead of silicone where the cap meets the dist. to help seal...can't say I saw any improvement, but I do know you have to be careful when tightening the cap down so you don't crack the dist.

Thanks for all the help and ideas, I'm still open to all.
AMXAL

Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

You cannot set the base timing on the '96+ motors. The distributor hold down clamp fits onto a square drive on the base of the distributor. There is no adjustment that can be set, period. The only thing you can do is make sure you are on the right tooth down at the cam gear. The rest is handled by the PCM.

And no, it is not DIS (distributorless ignition system).
Ah, this is news to me. Wonder what GM was thinking on that score.... Maybe they got tired of folks tweaking the timing a bit? Upsetting their carefully scheduled emissions stuff?? Curious.

@OP: What are your plugs gapped at?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
amxal is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I dropped the Blazer off at the shop today for repairs tomorrow, the mechanic prepped me idea that he may need to change the spyder, said that maybe the pop off valve (s) could be sticking. I would have thought the pressure flush he performed last week would have cured that. In any case he said repairs could be $500 + for the spyder replacement.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Beginning Member
sh1520 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for being mechanically DEclined but, what'a a spyder? And pop off valves? Never heard of them................

Old 01-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

I would get rid of those platinum plugs and install what GM recommends before letting that mechanic do anything else. Platinums are never really needed unless they are specifically recommended by the manufacturer.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Um, AC Delco Platinum plugs are what is installed from the factory and are what is recommended... Specifically double platinums.

Quick Reply: 98 HAS ENGINE MISS AT 60 TO 70 MPH