Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

99 4.3L Blazer Fuel Pump Issue? Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012 | 11:25 AM
|
majik211@yahoo.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 99 4.3L Blazer Fuel Pump Issue? Crank No Start

I have a 99 Blazer 4.3L 4x4 that i'm having a field day on.
Cranks over fine but no start / run because no I have no fuel pressure.
Three days ago I started in trouble shooting my no fuel pressure issue.

First I replaced fuel pump relay cause I couldn't feel it click.

Second I replaced the fuel pump and fuel ground strap because I couldn't hear it prime when trying to start nor could I hear it during key off.
Well now I can hear the pump cycle on for two seconds during key on and key off but still no pressure at the schrader valve.
When i had the gas tank off the tank was clean as could be inside, very clean.

Third I replaced the fuel filter to make sure the filter wasn't blocked.

Of course I can drop a few ounces of fuel in the throttle body and it runs smooth as can be till the gas I dumped in there runs out so im getting spark.
I have autotap scanner and no codes are being thrown.

Any suggestions as to where to go from here would be helpful and greatly appreciated, I looked around the blog but couldn't find any post where someone had done the stuff I did only to be left with no fuel pressure at all.

Old 08-14-2012 | 12:27 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

what brand did you replace the pump with? What is your initial numbers and 10 minutes later number with the key on engine off (at the schrader valve )?

Old 08-14-2012 | 03:12 PM
|

Honestly not exactly sure of the make of the pump, says china made on the pump, I got the pump off the web for 70 bucks plus 30 bucks for 2nd day air shipping.
Even though I can hear the pump plane as day cycle I have no fuel pressure at any time what so ever. Key on, no fuel pressure, attempt to start, no fuel pressure. Wait ten minutes do it again, nothing.
I tried to cycle the pump four times to get pressure built up in the line without trying to start it and still nothing.
I just figured with it being a new pump regardless of how poopee it was if I heard it running it would give me something to read on the gauge.
Autotap still shows no check codes.

Last edited by majik211@yahoo.com; 08-14-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: wanted to add a detail
Old 08-14-2012 | 05:29 PM

The problem could very well still be the pump. Anything but delco or delphi tends to not work well. You can also look down the throttle body, on te passenger side, is it dirty? Does it look really clean and show signs of washing? If so, the fuel pressure regulator is probably leaking or you have a serious injector leak. What was your MPG like before this?

Old 08-14-2012 | 06:30 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

i bet its the pump. you cant go cheap on pumps for blazers. suck it up and fork out the 300 bucks. Ive put in brand new aftermarket pumps in these things and they might last a day,or 3 weeks.

Old 08-14-2012 | 08:26 PM
|
Default Fuel pump issue?

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
The problem could very well still be the pump. Anything but delco or delphi tends to not work well. You can also look down the throttle body, on te passenger side, is it dirty? Does it look really clean and show signs of washing? If so, the fuel pressure regulator is probably leaking or you have a serious injector leak. What was your MPG like before this?
I was getting 19 to 23 MPG depending on how I drove.
I just disconnected the fuel filter and cycled the key a few times.
I could hear the pump kick on each time and I my garage floor should have been soaked after turning the key off and on several times.
Not a drop of fuel, bone dry.
I ordered a AC delco pump just a few hours ago and im going to pull the basket out and put in the Delco pump and see if its cheap china pump.

Old 08-14-2012 | 08:32 PM
|
Default AC Delco on its way

Originally Posted by chris015
i bet its the pump. you cant go cheap on pumps for blazers. suck it up and fork out the 300 bucks. Ive put in brand new aftermarket pumps in these things and they might last a day,or 3 weeks.
I ordered a AC delco pump just a few hours ago and im going to pull the basket out and put in the Delco pump and see if its cheap china pump.
I didnt know you could buy just the pump.
I saw the new housing on the one up at the stealership and it only had two spring post and looked shoddy, worse than the china pump go figure.
Regardless I have a AC Delco pump on its way next day air.
Pray for me. lol

Old 08-14-2012 | 10:58 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

let us know how it goes..

Not sure about the quality of aftermarket sending units,as i have one in mine,after half a tank my fuel gauge drops fast. My dads blazers the same way though. im not sure what he has in his.

Old 08-15-2012 | 12:38 AM

Your previous MPG tends to rule out leaking injectors or fuel pressure regulator. I'm willing to bet your pump just died and the cheapo might as well be dead. The delco pump should take care of your problems.

Old 08-15-2012 | 09:31 AM
|

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
Your previous MPG tends to rule out leaking injectors or fuel pressure regulator. I'm willing to bet your pump just died and the cheapo might as well be dead. The delco pump should take care of your problems.
I sure hope so.
I just tracked the tracking number and its on its way.
Should be here tomorrow.
I will keep you guys updated when I get started.
This shouldn't be too big of a ordeal to swap out the pumps themselves.

Quick Reply: 99 4.3L Blazer Fuel Pump Issue? Crank No Start