Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

99 blazer with a mind of its own help!! danger

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 PM
jeepetr is on a distinguished road
Default 99 blazer with a mind of its own help!! danger

ok so i picked up a 99 blazer off a buddy he bought a house with the truck on the land and the owner didnt come to get it he applyed for the title and got it and sold it to me for 300 bucks leather seats power every thing a good deal huh? but no battery and tags show its been off the road sense at least feb so today i pull the ol battery out turn it on and she fires up pretty as can be, but after a bit it losses good idle droping to 1/2 k then up to 2k and goes on for 4 or so mins then it evens out agian, now i climb in and and start to rev it up when i give it gas it wants to die at about 3k like total power lose but i can go under the hood and rev it and it sounds fine and runs fine so i try to see if it will move i back up 20 feet and hit the break and it spins the tires with out me touching the pedel and pull forward same thing i check the guages the only light i got coming up is the service 4wd light so what can this be im so lost and as far and the four wheel drive goes it seems that when i hit any of 4wd control no lights come up at all so idk about that either can any body help me out

Old 07-05-2011, 06:36 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Using punctuation and paragraphs would make it easier to understand your post.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 AM
01BLAZINZR2 is on a distinguished road

I think you should call your blazer Christine

Old 07-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Beginning Member
kennycraze is on a distinguished road

Sounds about right for a 99 Blazer. I swear mine is haunted.
Sometimes the engine check light comes on and then goes out all by itself.
Wait until you start seeing the 4 by 4 dash light switch all by itself into some other unwanted gear like (low) while you are traveling at some speed and then you ruin the output gears to the right front output axle.
You are in for a barrel of fun. I suggest you tip it over and burn it while you still can(before it burns you)!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Well I don't want to just rip apart And part out what seems like could be a damn good truck so what should I try to do? when I hit the 4wd buttons any of them the little yellow lights don't do anything and as far as the motor it idles to good for it to just die when u hit the pedel , and when i hit the breaks with in drive or reverse it spins the tires and i dont want to drive it if its dangerous can some one give me common problems to check for a 99 with this symptoms

Old 07-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Beginning Member
Magman is on a distinguished road

You're going to need access to a scan tool and see what is going on. I've had drivability isues before and most were related to either the TPS or O2 Sensors. Sensors on these vehicles are somewhat expensive, so a decent scan tool should help you narrow it down - borrow someone's. The TPS tells the CPU what position the throttle valve is in, but it has to be manually opened via gas pedal or by hand under the hood to increase RPM. Another sensor would be the IAC that opens/closes to allow more air into teh engine, I'd look at that one too. Def run a scan and see what the sensors are reporting, they all interact via the CPU to manage engine RPM/output.

As far as the 4x4 switch - get a new one, they're known to fail. Since it's been sitting awhile, expect to throw a couple hundred bucks at it in parts until you get the bugs worked out.

You got a good junkyard close by? It'll save you tons of cash in troubleshooting parts! I got 4-brand new Michelin tires from 4-different Blazers (Spares) for less than $70.00. Take a good sized tool bag and a list, make a day of it!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 PM
BUBBA3M is on a distinguished road

Just bought a 99 myself and amongst other problems it has a rough idle. Pulled the codes and got a PO 0146, turned out to be the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold downpipe, passenger side. OReilly's had one for $52.99 plus tax. So far so good, it smoothed out the idle.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:47 PM

My truck isn't showing the check engine light so I wouldn't think that it's throwing a code and when I drop it in to gear the jerks with both drive and reverse

Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 PM
cc4usa is on a distinguished road

if you have access to an autozone parts store. go see them for a rental on the scantool.
scan the blazer and lookup the codes and call the dealer service department to ask a few questions.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:13 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

sounds like what my blazer does after I drove it through 3 feet of water

Quick Reply: 99 blazer with a mind of its own help!! danger