Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

99 blazer strartes idles high then dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:45 PM
tinkstar1308 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Please help... 99 blazer idles really high whats wrong?

i just bought a 99 blazer, the guy just put the everything back together after replacing the intake gaskets, anyways when you start it, it idles at 3000 rpms and does not drop down. it is really loud and idk whats wrong. we replaced the idle sensor today and that didnt help. we just put a new converter on as well. please help if you have any idea what may be wrong. we cleaned the carburetor and that also did not help. any idea what is wrong?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have a large vacuum leak that you need to track down. Something didn't get put back together properly if this condition started after the repair work was done.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member
caditech is on a distinguished road

again to what swartlkk said, an ok method of finding that vacuum leak would be to use a can of carb cleaner to help you trace your leak. you should be listening for a change in rpm. but be warned that you should spray lightly and not go "all out" on the motor. because it is VERY flamable and you could end up missing eyebrows or worse. some people prefer using a little spray bottle of water im not such a fan of that method.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

An unlit propane or map gas torch can do the same thing without the fear of it flashing back on you if an external ignition source is present.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Exclamation need a vacum line diagram for a 99 blzer

i'm replacing the vacuum lines on my 99 blazer hoping that will help with the high idle when i start it. do you have a diagram or know a website i can find one at?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

this sounds like when i did the Intake gaskets on my old Lumina Z34, i pinched the fuel pressure regulators vac line and when started it would hit 3000rpm *the electronic limiter kicks in here in neutral* and it just wouldnt go down. one small mistake and the whole job has to be redone. lol oops.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Default 99 blazer strartes idles high then dies

my 99 blazer starts and idles at 3000 rpms then drops in rpms and dies, what could be wrong?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Exclamation need help 99 blazer has high idle and dies when i hit the gas

what could this be? when i start my blazer it idles at 3000rpms when i hit the gas it dies. what could this be? please help i really want to get my blazer on the road. we have already replace the idle sensor which didnt help the problem what could be wrong?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

A quick check of the brake booster vacuum line is worth while. If this line is disconnected at idle, it increases the idle big time.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

also any time the idle strange the idle air control valve is worth a cleaning, and also like guns said, check for vacuum leaks.

Quick Reply: 99 blazer strartes idles high then dies