Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Acceleration and shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:25 PM
bostenson is on a distinguished road
Default Acceleration and shifting issues

As it stands, I have only joined this forum to rectify technical issues with my Blazer and this seems to be the most informed group around. I'm afraid though that this issue might be particularly lengthy to explain, so please bare with me.

So anyway, I have a 2000 Blazer LT, 4.3 Liter, and 4 wheel drive, 118K miles. I drive around 50 miles a day during my commute and so I have become keen to some of the Blazers quirks such as with what I would deem to be issues with the transmission - which just so happens to be an automatic.

Whenever I accelerate, the transmission already feels like it is in a higher gear i.e. third or fourth gear. Therefore, the pedal may be pushed to the floor yet there is no engine rev, yet I am accelerating. However, I will manually shift the transmission into second to get it to rev up and accelerate faster until I reach my desired speed to where I will shift back into drive. However, in order to be in first, the speed has to be down to around 10mph before it will shift. I occasionally use the transmission to slow my vehicle down whenever I am exiting the freeway and I may be able to tell the transmission I want to be in first to slow down, but it will only feel like it is second and will not shift into first until I reach 10 mph. However, after stopping and with the transmission still in first, I can accelerate in first up until I shift into second, third, or drive. So in other words, my Blazer may be an automatic, yet I drive it like it has a standard transmission. But, there's more.

Whenever I reach 20 or 25 mph the vehicle jerks and loses power up until I reach 30 or 35 mph. To avoid this, I either accelerate as fast as I can or I will drive in second unless I am on stretches of road with speed limits above 35. But do you want to know the real kicker? Last month we had some good rain storms therefore backing up some sewer drains. After hydroplaning through some puddles - for the heck of it - the vehicle began to behave more normally than it ever did in months. Normal slow speed operation, normal shifting, normal acceleration, and what more, I could shift down into first and be running in second until I slowed down to 35 mph at which point the vehicle manually shifted into first. This delightful operation occurred for about one month up until last week.

So, I'm confused with what is wrong. I am not as technically proficient as I would like to be, but if someone could at least steer me in the right direction as to what to look for or what to ask my mechanic to check out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all of your patience and expertise.

Benjamin

Old 05-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So it isn't shifting into 1st or 2nd when the gear lever is in overdrive or drive?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:45 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

You could start by not slowing down using your automatic transmission and driving it like everybody else. How long have you had the truck? If you've been driving like this for a while then it seems like it's your fault the tranny is having issues.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Manually shifting an automatic transmission will not shorten its life.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:02 PM

Using his tranny to slow down will.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Administrator

How do you figure?

Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Because he's using it to slow down a 4000lb brick coming off the freeway. Putting that much stress on anything that isn't designed for slowing it down is going to shorten its life. It's a common sense thing that you don't slow down using your transmission. It's there to help you go not help you stop.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Administrator

The transmission will not allow downshifts at ridiculous speeds. Try it.

Downshifting to slow down a vehicle, whether automatic or manual, is not something that will result in increased wear and tear on the transmission if used correctly. For an automatic, do not abruptly change throttle position during a shift. Applying the throttle or abruptly letting off the throttle can increase the chances of damage.

I have used engine braking through down shifting in many vehicles equiped with the 4L60E transmission while towing and/or descending steep grades. None have been adversely affected by such a process.

Now, lets try to help the OP instead of criticizing his driving habits.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 PM

Well it's something I would never do. My mom blew the transmission on her astro van from slowing down with it when her brake line popped on 690 when I was little.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM
bostenson is on a distinguished road
Default Overdrive

Correct, the transmission will not shift into 1st or 2nd when it is in overdrive. It feels as if it is already in 3rd or 4th whenever I accelerate.

Just to clear the air, this problem began to occur after purchasing the Blazer in August last year and it wasn't until I started to attend school in January when I would shift down to slow down to save the brakes. Furthermore, I used to drive semi and we always shifted down when descending steep hills, you need to shift down to retard your speed when 20+ tons is pushing against you, otherwise, you and every other vehicle on the road is royally screwed. Ever notice those road signs that say there is a steep descent up ahead and there is a little note to truckers to use the "lower gear"? But if you live in Nebraska or Oklahoma, or anywhere flat, chances are you never noticed. Idaho, however, is not quite as flat. Comparatively speaking, shifting down in a Chevy Blazer is nothing compared to shifting down in a semi with a loaded trailer. Until then, thank you in advance as I await whatever "help" I may receive.

Benjamin

Quick Reply: Acceleration and shifting issues