Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Alternative P1870 fix-so-far

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by drblaze
Got the PM, replied, will send the stuff asap, likely Friday.

Again, for my $.02: if this TransGo valve just plunks in as loose as the one you take out, I'd seriously consider finding a single-nipple inner valve and dropping the TekPack valve in there with it. I even wonder if it would work with the double nipple you have already.

This is the color of envy green for your lack of P1870s and SES light.

Anyway, good luck with it. Definitely post how it goes.
Hey, anytime you have some free time to send it is fine. it doesnt have to be friday if you can't....I really appreciate it when ever you send it. Just let me know when you do send it so i can keep an eye out for it.
Just curious, that spring and bolt is from the transgo kit? like the valve uses its own special spring that you have to put in and comes in the kit? or is it a stock spring that was in the valve body to begin with already?

Yeah if it fits loose, i will try to track down a single sided nipple and get the techpak valve instead... In your opinion, would you have still put the transgo shift kit in if you knew the Techpak valve was the right valve for you to begin with? or did you put the kit in thinking it was to fix your 1870?

just curious, what does the mean "This is the color of envy green for your lack of P1870s and SES light."

thanks so much for all your help

Last edited by bigdaddykane93; 02-11-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Beginning Member
drblaze is on a distinguished road

qseq:
I would definitely try this TeckPak valve. Your symptoms sound very much like mine, so I would expect it to eliminate your p1870 and your hard 1-2 shift when hot, as it did in my case. By the way, yes it's good there were no large chunks in the pan, but as I understand it, the goo is still a kind of debris, clutch material I think, and along with the "burnt brown, and smelly" fluid, this would indicate at least some degree of compromise to your transmission. Same is true of mine. Eventually we should probably both be prepared to have to rebuild. But for the nearer term, this TeckPak valve seems to be a pretty cheap and reasonably easy way to extend the life of our dear 4l60e's, for however long.

BDaddy:
Yeah, the spring and bolt come in the TransGo kit. They tell you to jettison the original spring. The bolt is really just a temporary handle in case you need to manually 'hone' the bore a little using the new valve if it's too tight.

Ultimately, I only knew the TeckPak valve was my solution through the trial-and-error process of installing the TransGo shift kit, including its TCC valve. It's very little more work to install the whole kit versus just the TCC valve (the valve body's out, you're disassembling and reassembling anyway), and I just figured it wouldn't hurt anything, and might make other improvements to boot. There was really no way I could have known the TeckPak valve would work without dropping the VB and starting to install the TransGo shift kit, only then seeing that the TransGo TCC valve was obviously not going to make a difference. It was then really just a stroke of luck that my local transmission shop guy introduced me to this TeckPak TCC valve. If that hadn't happened, I would have had no other option (short of a new VB altogether) but to turn to the Sonnax reamer and valve, despite the greater expense. But you're right, I really can't say what difference the rest of the shift kit has made, except, again, my hunch that since this install, overdrive has reappeared (I don't know if that's even possible; I haven't driven the truck regularly for years, so my memory of its overdrive behavior is fuzzy; I only know I definitely feel it now!).

Thanks for your patience about the items I'm sending. I spent the morning snagging an 83 diesel Benz (another affliction) transmission from the local PnP during a half-off sale, and I'm supposed to go look at a 71 VW Squareback (another still) barn find here in a bit, so I may not get to the PO today. If not, will tomorrow.

The crack about "envy green" was just a dumb way of saying I'm jealous you aren't having the p1870 code or Service Engine Soon light to deal with.

I'll let you know for sure when the package is on its way.

Happy weekend.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 AM

qseq:
I would definitely try this TeckPak valve. Your symptoms sound very much like mine, so I would expect it to eliminate your p1870 and your hard 1-2 shift when hot, as it did in my case. By the way, yes it's good there were no large chunks in the pan, but as I understand it, the goo is still a kind of debris, clutch material I think, and along with the "burnt brown, and smelly" fluid, this would indicate at least some degree of compromise to your transmission. Same is true of mine. Eventually we should probably both be prepared to have to rebuild. But for the nearer term, this TeckPak valve seems to be a pretty cheap and reasonably easy way to extend the life of our dear 4l60e's, for however long.

BDaddy:
Yeah, the spring and bolt come in the TransGo kit. They tell you to jettison the original spring. The bolt is really just a temporary handle in case you need to manually 'hone' the bore a little using the new valve if it's too tight.

Ultimately, I only knew the TeckPak valve was my solution through the trial-and-error process of installing the TransGo shift kit, including its TCC valve. It's very little more work to install the whole kit versus just the TCC valve (the valve body's out, you're disassembling and reassembling anyway), and I just figured it wouldn't hurt anything, and might make other improvements to boot. There was really no way I could have known the TeckPak valve would work without dropping the VB and starting to install the TransGo shift kit, only then seeing that the TransGo TCC valve was obviously not going to make a difference. It was then really just a stroke of luck that my local transmission shop guy introduced me to this TeckPak TCC valve. If that hadn't happened, I would have had no other option (short of a new VB altogether) but to turn to the Sonnax reamer and valve, despite the greater expense. But you're right, I really can't say what difference the rest of the shift kit has made, except, again, my hunch that since this install, overdrive has reappeared (I don't know if that's even possible; I haven't driven the truck regularly for years, so my memory of its overdrive behavior is fuzzy; I only know I definitely feel it now!).

Thanks for your patience about the items I'm sending. I spent the morning snagging an 83 diesel Benz (another affliction) transmission from the local PnP during a half-off sale, and I'm supposed to go look at a 71 VW Squareback (another still) barn find here in a bit, so I may not get to the PO today. If not, will tomorrow.

The crack about "envy green" was just a dumb way of saying I'm jealous you aren't having the p1870 code or Service Engine Soon light to deal with.

I'll let you know for sure when the package is on its way.

Happy weekend.
Hi,
Just curious, what does "They tell you to jettison the original spring" mean?

Also when you tried the transgo TCC valve, did they require you to eliminate the entire stock original valve line up in that bore? like even the little single sided valve that you reused with the teckpak valve?

thanks

Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Beginning Member

By "jettison the original spring..." I just meant the TransGo instructions tell you to get rid of the original spring, and use one they supply instead.

And yes, the instructions also tell you to use the TCC valve and new spring they supply, instead of the entire original valve line-up you've taken out, including the small single-nipple inner valve.

Which raises another possibility for you: if the TCC valve doesn't work for you, get the TeckPak valve, and instead of your double-sided inner valve, fabricate a single-sided inner valve out of the original stock outer valve by cutting it. Just a thought.

But first, here's to hoping the TransGo valve and spring work for you.

I sent them off today, at long last, along with the instructions. Look for a small USPS Priority Mail box early next week. Sorry it took so long!

Cheers

Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 AM

By "jettison the original spring..." I just meant the TransGo instructions tell you to get rid of the original spring, and use one they supply instead.

And yes, the instructions also tell you to use the TCC valve and new spring they supply, instead of the entire original valve line-up you've taken out, including the small single-nipple inner valve.

Which raises another possibility for you: if the TCC valve doesn't work for you, get the TeckPak valve, and instead of your double-sided inner valve, fabricate a single-sided inner valve out of the original stock outer valve by cutting it. Just a thought.

But first, here's to hoping the TransGo valve and spring work for you.

I sent them off today, at long last, along with the instructions. Look for a small USPS Priority Mail box early next week. Sorry it took so long!

Cheers
Hey thanks! i got the instructions and stuff. I went straight to the valve and instructions of that section. I too was thinking of getting the 98-99 single sided nipple valve or cutting this trango valve since it looks alot like the later single sided valve and using the techpak valve with it. however i did drop in the transgo tcc valve and it went right in but was not sloppy in the bore at all. looks like it would work but i notice you have to put the spring in first and then the trango valve (which i didn't try yet). i even called transgo and they said it has to be spring first then the valve and end bore plug. he also said the there transgo valve still moves back and forth and meters fluid. which im not to crazy about the idea of it moving back and forth...Id rather have the original valve jammed in there with the techpak and never moving...i think im gonna try to find that later model single valve and try that first....

just curious, did you change the boost valve and EPC soleniod too?

and how does the 1-2 upshift feel now? and also the 2-3 upshift?

thanks so much

Old 02-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Beginning Member

Hey glad it reached you.

I've lost a little of the terminology, so I'm not exactly sure what I did about the "boost valve" and "EPC solenoid." But below is what I know I did do, per the TransGo instructions. Maybe you'll be able to tell whether it relates to the boost valve and EPC solenoid.

Page 1: Mine was the "2nd Type," and I installed as shown.
Page 2: This I skipped entirely, as mentioned, because it required removal of that servo cover.
Page 3: I did step #1 (is this the "boost valve" you're talking about?). Re #2, I put in a new EPC screen, but left out the wire spacer (wouldn't stay in place very easily; I bent one all up the first time). Re #4, I did use a new VB separator plate; two check ***** were embedded in their worn holes.
Page 4: Did #1, but again, instead of the TransGo TCC valve+spring, I used the TeckPak valve.
Page 5: Did #1, 2, 3, 4, as instructed. Mine was "2nd Type" in #4.
Page 6: Did not do, again because it requires a code from the 2nd Piston, which I couldn't access under that servo cover. I thought about guessing which spring to put in that 1-2 accumulator bushing and valve, but then thought better of it.

So that's it. I'm very happy with the smooth but firm 1-2 shift, the 2-3 shift is fine. Not crazy about the weak 3-4 shift, but don't think any of these steps affected that.

Let me know how it goes.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Beginning Member
Karsten is on a distinguished road

I just got the Techpak TCC valve for my 97 4L60E.
Do I see this correct in the instructions, the spring will not go back into the valve body ?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member

Correct, the spring does not go back in. Hope it works for you.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Beginning Member
Karsten is on a distinguished road

Thanks !
We'll see on saturday

Old 03-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Karsten
I just got the Techpak TCC valve for my 97 4L60E.
Do I see this correct in the instructions, the spring will not go back into the valve body ?
HI just curious, before you put in your techpak valve, can you tell me what the little valve that you put back in before the techpak valve goes in looks like? does it have a nipple on each side? or just 1 nipple on one side? does it look like my picture below?

Attached Thumbnails Alternative P1870 fix-so-far-im004499.jpg  

Last edited by bigdaddykane93; 03-23-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Alternative P1870 fix-so-far