Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Antifreeze Disappearing and Stuck Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member
00blue4.3 is on a distinguished road
Default Antifreeze Disappearing and Stuck Lifters

Hello all,
Im looking for some guidance because I have some big issues on my hands.
First issue is about a week and a half ago my engine would tick at startup after sitting all night in cold temps (18deg to 30deg) for a couple minutes. After 3-4 min it would silence. As the week went on the ticking lasted longer and would happen after only sitting a couple hours at a time. ( I tried an oil detergent "valve medic" and saw no improvements) In the past several days the temps here have not dipped below 30 and the ticking has vanished.
Second issue was about 2 weeks ago i was working on it and noticed that the antifreeze was low so i toped her off. Just this Sunday (when adding valve medic) I noticed the coolant level was below the reservoir so i filled it (while hot). Just today i go for the heater and notice its blowing cold air and the engine is climbing to the 210 degree mark. So i check the antifreeze and notice its down below the reservoir. So i added water at work to get me home. When i get home, it has dropped out of sight again. I checked my oil and however it doesn't look cloudy it is overfilled by about 2 inches on the dipstick and with 2500 miles since the last oil change and the infamous leaky oil lines it is usually down a bit by this time.
Any ideas whats going on? Could these be related to each other such as antifreeze leaking down causing a lifter to stick or something? Any way to figure out where this antifreeze is going? I checked the obvious places around water pump, hoses, etc. My older brother had a 97 5.7 silverado and had to replace the intake gaskets on his because of similar issues? Or are we lookin at something worse like a head gasket or cracked block. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Michael

P.S. Its a 2000 4.3 4x4 with 106,000 on the clock

Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would put some Marvel Mystery Oil in place of a quart of oil in the next few oil changes to see if it can clean up the junk in your lifters. If the problem persists, you are likely looking at replacing the lifters.

As far as the coolant goes, it definitely sounds like you have a pretty good leak somewhere. The oil being high by 2" on the dip stick is disturbing. I would change the oil now and look for signs of coolant at that time. Above all, get those IM gaskets looked at!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Beginning Member
1996blazer1 is on a distinguished road

This is the same situation I had in my 1996 last winter. the antifreeze was disappearing, motor ran hot, no heat, and high oil reading on dip stick. I did an oil changer and found the hiding antifreeze in there with my oil yet not foamy. I replaced my intake with a felpro permadry set and I haven't had an issue since. I did the job in about 4.5 hours and I'm 19 so it not to bad. Do as swartlkk said and change your oil to rule that out first.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may actually find that the coolant is running down into the lifter valley and getting into the lifter causing the condition... Just popped into my head as a plausible cause and/or contributing factor to the lifter tap. Water isn't a good lubricator.

And THIS POST should help you along in getting those gaskets replaced. Use the updated FelPro MS98002T gaskets. They have a metal frame that will not crack and leak like the older nylon frame does with either coolant (actually, it does it due to the water in the coolant, not the coolant).

Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you guys both very much for the feedback. Another thing i noticed was when i pulled the dipstick out it was steaming a bit. I'll go ahead and get the gaskets and change the oil right before i replace the gasket just to inspect it to make sure the job is needed. So you suggest the felpro gaskets? I know my brother overtightened his and had to replave again so i was going to go with the ones from the dealer because they have the metal inserts to keep that from happening. Do you know if the felpro ones do? i guess i could just be careful. but you mentioned they have a metal frame so maybe i wont have to worry about that. And i hope your right swartlkk about it leaking onto the lifters, it makes perfect sense, it would just stink to be so close to the lifters and not replace them if bad. But i think its a good start. Thanks guys for the help

Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Administrator

The felpro gaskets have a complete metal frame. And so long as you follow the torque specs posted, you should be a-ok!

About changing the oil, if you are going to drive it prior to getting the gaskets replaced, I would change the oil now. You will also want to change the oil again after you have run it a bit after changing the gaskets to make sure that nothing got down into the crankcase from the gasket change.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Beginning Member

I am going to keep it parked, ill take a cab if i have to, dont wanna chance anything haha. I called napa and they have the ms98002t so ill just go that way since you guys suggest them. Ill probably start tonight and hpoefully have it done by weekend (just working on it in evenings) That do it yourself page looked really descriptive and helpful thanks. And i will watch my torque specs, haha. Thanks again for all the help and input and so quickly. Ill post back up to let you know if it worked and if it was related to the lifters.
Michael

Old 02-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member

Well i finished up the gasket replacement Friday night and to my surprise it started right up, haha. Only one problem... my tach doesnt work at all? Any ideas? I tried to check all of my connections but couldn't find an issue. I have a service engine light on but my advance auto's scanner is broken, haha I can go to another one tomorrow but i figure it is related to the tach. I put at least 60 miles on it this weekend and it ran very smoothly and didn't appear to loose any antifreeze at all. Everything was fine except one time i pulled to a stop light and it stalled? Maybe a fluke, it started right back up. Any ideas what i did to my tach? Is it tied to the distributer on these vehicles? Thanks
Michael

Old 02-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Administrator

I am betting that you forgot to plug the CMP (camshaft position) sensor in. The CMP sensor is located in the base of the distributor. Check to ensure that it is plugged in. If it is, disconnect it and inspect the pins on the sensor.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Beginning Member

Well It took a royal poop on me today. All was running fine. I was out on the interstate and pulled out to pass. It kicked down and began accelerating then the acceleration stopped and it began slowing down with it was still spinning at a decent rpm (not floored, i don't drive it hard at all) . I applied the breaks and it shut off. I tried to start it again and it has an awful schreaching or metal rubbing noise. It got towed home and i was thinking the water pump or something with a bearing had failed. I took the fan belt off and the problem persisted so this rules about anything on the front of the engine. Any ideas? I love my blazer but over the past year she has been nickel and dimeing the heck out of me and it only has 106 on the clock.
Thanks for the input You guys are the greatest.
Micheal

Quick Reply: Antifreeze Disappearing and Stuck Lifters