Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

bad oil leak! rear main? this is bad to ask after i took off transmission huh?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
mtz57 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation bad oil leak! rear main? this is bad to ask after i took off transmission huh?

hi i am having some big trouble. my 98 blazer 4x4 has a oil leak. the leak is very bad it was coming down on the on passanger side. runnig down the metal hoses and seemed to come down from the top of bell housing, but def not from the oil pan or very bottom of transmission bell housing.
everyone i know told me it was the rear main seal. instead of just paying to fix it. i tried to fix it myself that did not work. so my dad came in from texas to help try to fix it.
so took everything off. and i pulled the transmission back and took the rear main out. there was no oil on the flyweel. so then we took out the housing that holds the rear main.(bad idea sometimes you should re read the book just to make sure.)there is a rubber gasket that fits in the slot on the bottom of this cast housing. it has a number on it i think it is the part number 14088557. and we cant get it to go back over the gasket.
any ideas because we have to put all this back together and find and fix the leak asap
my dad is only in town for two more days and the only reliable help i have to get this leak fixed.
and if anyone has an idea about where the leak could be coming from that would be great thanks

Old 08-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to loosen the oil pan to get the rear main seal housing properly reinstalled.

Did you check the valve covers for a leak?

Have the intake manifold gaskets been replaced recently? Maybe a leak where the RTV seals up between the lower intake manifold and the block rail.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM
mtz57 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You will need to loosen the oil pan to get the rear main seal housing properly reinstalled.

Did you check the valve covers for a leak?

Have the intake manifold gaskets been replaced recently? Maybe a leak where the RTV seals up between the lower intake manifold and the block rail.
how hard is it to just loosin the oil pan to put that rear main housing back in? do i have to take apart the whole engine to get to it?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't going to be fun getting at all of the bolts, but it is possible.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Blazer Steve is on a distinguished road

Hi I had the same problem on a 1997 s-10 Blazer I bought with a bad tranny.
I pulled the seal retainer out. Tried to drop pan. That didn't work pan is to close to front diff. Would have to loosen front diff and let it droop down.
Also the oil sender unit is prone to leaking mine was leaking, with all the other gaskets. Pulled motor and freshed it up.