Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Bad S10

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
steamernumber9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bad S10

I have been have problems here shortly with mine, it is surging real bad and hesitating and to the point not driveable,

Sitting at the redlight with turnsignal on, I smelt something and looked down and seen a small wisp of smoke rise from around back of steering wheel......then no more.......it didn't seem to affect anything working wise...........
can the ignition switch wires or something else in colum be causing the radical idle and running conditions of mine............I have replaced all fuel components.....fuel pressure etc.....and ignition under the hood including rebuilding distributor........any ideas would be appreciated..

Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Shade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Bad S10

did anything happen at all when you saw the smoke? might be some wires shorting out or something, usualy when that happens lights go dim, or the radio will turn off and back on. and i dont know what year or engine you have but if its an older s-10 like mine (85) if there is a big enough short it could effect the pulses in the engine electronics. or even the computer. if its a later model (4.3 fuel injection) i would take it to a shop and have them hook up to the computer and aquier trouble codes from it, also is the service engine light on? need more info bro

Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 AM

It is a 94 with W style vortec, but no nothing happened directly when the smoke was witnessed other than stink and still nothing seems to be electrically affected so far.........I had a code reader getting a code 35 ( being an Iac) so i replaced it,,, and never even phased, at idle sometimes it continues to give the same code although I guess that's because the idling is so screwed on it, it doesn't really help.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:06 AM

ok so its a 4.3 fuel injected so that means complete computer controlled and hardly any room for vacume leaks, but check for that anyway. usualy at idle if a vehicle surges and if you hook a tachomeder to it and it just jumps around, its because of a vacume leak or its out of timing and firing wrong...

Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 PM

No vacuum leaks were to be found, and doesn't seem to be any problems with the timing setting either......it's a little shady because thing won't be still long enough to check without digital timing gun...............the throttle can be held down at times when engine is hot and acts just like a rev limiter has been installed.........?

Old 05-20-2007, 05:02 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

your spyder injector could be leaking. a very common problem with the 4.3 CPI. i would also check out your egr valve. could be stuck

Old 05-20-2007, 05:40 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: Shade

ok so its a 4.3 fuel injected so that means complete computer controlled and hardly any room for vacume leaks, but check for that anyway. usualy at idle if a vehicle surges and if you hook a tachomeder to it and it just jumps around, its because of a vacume leak or its out of timing and firing wrong...
A fuel injected engine suffers almost as bad from vacuum leaks as a carbed engine does... And btw, there is no computer in a 1985 S10, unless someone did an engine swap...

To the OP, check your CPI setup and make sure it's not leaking... If it's not, try spraying some throttle body cleaner around the base of the TB, and make sure you're not pulling in unmetered air.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: drperry

ORIGINAL: Shade

A fuel injected engine suffers almost as bad from vacuum leaks as a carbed engine does... And btw, there is no computer in a 1985 S10, unless someone did an engine swap...

To the OP, check your CPI setup and make sure it's not leaking... If it's not, try spraying some throttle body cleaner around the base of the TB, and make sure you're not pulling in unmetered air.

UH yea there is a computer, i know this for a fact, hense, ive held it in my hand before? and i used it for diognostics... sooo yea... and no its the original 2.8 ltr v6 2 barell carb.. WITH A COMPUTER

Old 05-20-2007, 11:31 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Electronically controlled choke, pure carb power, no fuel injection.

Not a computer in the normal sense of the word.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:14 AM

dude, it has a computer, plain and simple, i neversaid that it CONTROLLS the carburator.. wouldnt be called a carburator.... it would be, throttle boddy right? so basically i dont even know why you fricken came up with barkin at me about me havin a computer in my blazer. its a computer, i have an check engine light, i have sensors all over the place... if you are going to continue to deny it, commin from someone that doesnt even own a 85, ill take fricken pictures of it.....

Quick Reply: Bad S10