Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Blazer will not start, I'm at a loss!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Starting Member
monkey36 is on a distinguished road
Angry Blazer will not start, I'm at a loss!!!

My 2000 Blazer was fine until I let it sit for one month. Now it wont start! The fuel gauge always bounced around and I was told this may be a hint that the fuel pump is going. I put extra gas in it, made no difference. So I pulled a plug and there is plenty of spark, I tried starting fluid but I still can't get it to fire. I can hear the pump running but have read that may make no difference, it could still be bad. After reading quite a few posts on here, I decided to buy a new ignition coil, to no prevail however.
The plug wires are relatively new along with dist etc...
I am no master mechanic however have donated a pound of flesh to the back yard mechanic gods, and I'm stumped!!! I am not getting any check engine lights and whatnot. As a side note, the month that it was sitting the battery was dead, I'm not sure if I need to reset something?
So if there is anyone that may be able to point me in the right direction I would be forever grateful!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have verified spark, but the statement that it will not run even on starting fluid leads me to believe that either the spark is not properly timed, there is an overly rich condition, or a compression problem any of which might be preventing proper combustion.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member
Gmas95 is on a distinguished road

Go to your local Harbor Frieght and get a fuel pressure gauge usually less then $20. Test the fuel pressure.

Verify, Cranking, Fuel, Spark and Compression. Is the best way to start a No-start issue before buying any parts. Guessing is expensive.

Last edited by Gmas95; 09-13-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Starting Member

Well like I had stated, before I parked it, it ran fine. I also put 10 gallons of fresh gas in it and it made no difference. So I'm not sure how the timing would have been thrown off, any other thought or how I might be able to diagnose this?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Beginning Member

Any signs of small animals? They like to eat wires. Is it cranking fast, does it spudder, or try to fire at all? Try kicking the gas tank, it sometimes will get a failing Fuel pump to get going.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Starting Member

I've looked everywhere and can see no signs of animal damage. It does not crank any faster than it did before, however when I let off the key from trying to start it, it will cough 1-5 times, like a chugging. I will try hitting the gas tank tomorrow morning and see if that does the trick. As much as I don't want to have to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump I would be ecstatic to have the problem isolated so I can then get it fixed!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I really doubt that it is a fuel supply problem, but a fuel pressure test would tell the tale in that respect. Given that it won't start with starting fluid, about the only fuel problem I would suspect would be a rich condition. If you had too low of fuel pressure, clogged poppet nozzles, or some other fuel system problem that is preventing fuel from getting to the cylinders, adding starter fluid into the throttle body should allow it to start.

One thing worth mentioning... When you are trying to start it, is the intake duct work intact from the filter box to the throttle body? If not, is it intact from the MAF sensor to the throttle body? If the MAF sensor electrical connection is plugged in, but the air entering the engine is not all being pulled through the MAF sensor, it can cause starting problems.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Starting Member

So if it were a rich condition, what would be my next best option? Pull the spark plugs and take a look at them? Them what should I do to rectify the problem?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Beginning Member

So right now it is basically cranking over, not firing at all and even when you spray starter fluid it does not fire or attempt to fire. When you turn the key off it sputters like it is chugging? Is it dieseling? And you are positve you have spark?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Starting Member

It is doing a little bit of chugging when I let off the ignition key, but not run on (dieseling)
I pulled one of the plug wires and had a plug in it and turned it over and there was plenty of spark.
All other points you recapped are correct. Do you have an inclination as to what it may be?

Quick Reply: Blazer will not start, I'm at a loss!!!