Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

bravada wont start need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Starting Member
bobby099 is on a distinguished road
Default bravada wont start need some help

i have a 97 bravada and for some reason when i turn the key it smells like gas on the passenger side. i just changed the oil and it kinda smelled like gas im going to change the spark plugs tomorrow just havent had the time. i had it starting and running just a few days ago it stopped running again.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Starting Member
matthewp is on a distinguished road

You may have a fuel leak somewhere. Start at the back of the engine where the fuel lines go in to the fuel meter body. The metal line themselves won't leak unless they've been damaged, but there are two sealing nuts that may worked themselves loose. If everything is good check fuel lines under the truck for any damage.

If the fuel lines are good, then check fuel pressure; if you have either Central Port Injection or Central Sequential Fuel Injection systems then fuel pressure is everything. Fuel pressure on a the CSFI (engine off, key on) with the fuel pump running is 60-66 PSI. The fuel pump should run for about 2 seconds before turning off, so you may need to have an assistant turn the key while you watch the pressure gauge.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Starting Member

well i recently changed the spark plugs and it made a big difference but i am going to change the cap and rotor it runs alot better with the plugs and there is no fuel smell anymore so im not sure what that was all about.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Starting Member
matthewp is on a distinguished road

Usually spark plugs problems are rare, how many miles have those plugs got on them? Also, I had some misfire issues about a year ago and I didn't have gas smell. Usually a gas smell means you a fuel leak or alot of unburnt fuel; did you ever have a falshing check engine light?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Starting Member

im not sure how many miles are on the old plugs i had it running then today it was down pouring all day i went out there to start it and no luck it im thinking it might be moisture getting in the cap and causing it not to turn over

Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Starting Member

ive also checked for a fuel leak there is no signs of it leaking

Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

If you dont have any leaks from fuel lines or gas tank then Im going give aneducated guess and say your fuel regulator is leaking inside your planem and intake manifold.That could also be the problem why it isnt starting.I suggest doing a fuel leak down test I bet it leads you to your gas smell.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On your 97, if you replace the distributor cap & rotor, use AC Delco only! Aftermarket caps don't make the grade on CSFI engines.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for a bit off topic, MSD any good hook?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Josh, see post #8

Quick Reply: bravada wont start need some help