Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Can the goodyear gator back belt cause a wining noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road
Default Can the goodyear gator back belt cause a wining noise

I have a 2001 chevy blazer 4DR 2WD 4.3L. I purchased a good year gator back belt from kregan autoparts and i noticed that the car is making a wining noise as it accelerates. It whines back a bit and when i decelerate it wines down. Does anyone have this belt installed on there veichles. Is this normal or what can it be? I did a service on my transmission fluid and the diferential. Im using castro GTX ATF and mobile one 75 90 gear oil on differential

Old 06-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have used Goodyear Gatorback belts on a number of vehicles and never experienced this.

If the noise is ground speed dependent and not engine RPM dependent, then it is not anything on the engine.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:57 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Any belt can make noise...

but I put one on a while back and haven't had any issues. Could be any number of things and as stated, is it speed or rpm dependant?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Starting Member

It makes no noise at idol but as i accelerate through speed it makes the noise, the faster i go the more the noise accelerates.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

then its not anything on your engine

Old 06-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Starting Member

This problem started as soon as I installed the Goodyear gator back belt, the car runs smooth/strong. The power is right on the pedal maybe it’s just a defective belt or something because the noise is pretty loud even if I have the music on fairly high, it’s still hearable and it gets annoying if there is no music being played. I’m just going to have to buy another belt and see how that goes. By the way can it make that noise if the belt is on their tight/loose?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Take the belt off and start it. Does it still make the same noise? Can you put the old one back on and test that? It almost makes me think your tensioner pulley is making the noise.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

Don't know about a Blazer yet but I had one on my 95 Z28, quietest belt I've ever used. Still on the car going strong. 50k plus. I had a Dayco belt on it and it sounded like wet sneakers on a tile floor 75% of the time.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah if its speed dependent its highly unlikely it has anything to do the engine let alone the belt. I have had a gatorback on for about a year and not a peep out of it. My old gates was squeaking like mad.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Starting Member

No i do not have the old belt, i trashed it because it was waring out which is why i replaced with the gatorback belt. With the old belt i had no probloms with this whine issue whatsoever. the noise it makes is not a squeek. I wish i had a cam to record the sound but tel then im going to have to remove the belt and reinstall it.

Quick Reply: Can the goodyear gator back belt cause a wining noise