Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Can't pull out the PCV valve - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Starting Member
quickcurrent is on a distinguished road
Default Can't pull out the PCV valve - HELP

After looking long and hard for the location of the PCV valve on my 2005 Jimmy (Canada only) I finally found it tucked away just slightly towards the driver's side next to the air intake duct fairly deep under some other tubes and hard to get at. I removed the air intake duct and the cap atop the throttle body to give me somewhat easier access. I pulled on it with all my might and the thing would not budge. My son tried it and he could not budge it either. I cleaned the throttle body while we were at it, but cannot take the PCV valve out. The only thing that would come off is the L-shaped valve tube off the fitting at the other end, but nothing would give at the PCV valve end. The truck has about 125,000 miles on it and the PCV valve has never been serviced or changed. Could it be stuck on that badly with carbon? I have never seen anything like it! Usually PCV valves com out like butter in the summer.

Has anyone had this issue with a 2005 Jimmy or Blazer? How do I get the valve out to check it/replace it?

Old 12-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Starting Member

I was reading elsewhere that someone with a Toyota had the same problem. He supposedly sprayed the PCV valve and the rubber grommet that it goes into with plenty of silicone spray to loosen it and then it came out easier. I've sprayed this thing of mine three times with silicone spray, still nothing. The grommet appears to be OK!

Old 12-18-2018, 12:37 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I'm having a hard time understanding how this could ever get stuck. Could you post a picture?

Old 12-22-2018, 12:50 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

maybe the flange got pushed in too far? Or maybe i9t is the wrong one?

pcv

Old 12-23-2018, 09:43 AM
Starting Member

Thank you for your comments, puttster and christine_208.

The vehicle has been out all week and haven't been able to take a photo during the day time, now that days are shorter. I'll try a bit later today, perhaps that will offer some clues, but it looks normal to me.

I purchased this vehicle new and have never taken the PCV valve out, hence the difficulty I had in locating it recently. I do most of the maintenance on it, but have taken it to a trusted mechanic a few times, but, to my knowledge, he has never touched the PCV valve either. So the thing should be as it was put in at the factory.

So far it has not budged.

I was also reading in another forum that an owner of a Blazer purchased a direct fit (?) PCV valve for his Blazer, then went to replace it, and the new one he had just purchased was twice the size of the one that was in his vehicle! This is why I am waiting to get the one I have out, so I can take it to the parts store to get an identical one if the one that is there needs it (almost certain that it does).

Old 12-24-2018, 02:29 PM
Starting Member

OK, finally got a few photos of the PCV Valve connecting tube end. The area is well covered with silicone spray, but still the thing will not come out!

Old 12-24-2018, 03:10 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

You know, your only option might be to remove the valve cover.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:21 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

I rebuilt a blazer for my EX a couple years ago, I don't remember what year of blazer and 4.3 it was but the PCV valve was built in to the valve cover and not removable. If memory serves me right it looked like what you have

Old 12-24-2018, 04:36 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

Agree, that valve doesn't really look like the pic I posted.
You can't get the hose off? If the valve is stuck in the open position maybe you could buy another one and rig something to install it in-line.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Starting Member

Removing the valve cover seems a little extreme to me, christine_208, to check/replace the PCV valve. :-(

How would I know if it's stuck open or closed, puttster? I suspect it's the PCV valve that is causing my "check engine light" to come on from time to time on a P0101 code, because I have already cleaned the MAF sensor twice, put a whole can of SeaFoam spray into the throttle body, and my air filter is clean. The "check engine light" was on steady prior to that and I also had a P0104 code. Other things that could cause that, from what I have read, is a dirty EGR valve (which I don't believe this vehicle has), or a partially clogged catalytic converter (but I believe that gives a different trouble code). When I put the SeaFoam into the engine it made it much smoother, so my guess is that the PCV valve is not working quite right, but cannot check it without getting the darn thing out!

odat, that sounds like what I may have. That would mean doing what christine_208 posted just to check the PCV valve. :-( So much for GMC being "professional" grade. :-(

Maybe I need to do a vacuum test to see if that gives me any clues.

Quick Reply: Can't pull out the PCV valve - HELP