Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

car slows down quick

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 PM
yazan84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car slows down quick

hey again my 1999 4 door blazer feels like it slows down very quickand whenever I speed up I feel like something is pushing it back i.e. don't get the power/speed expected!
I've recently done some tune up air filter, spark plugs, wire, disrbuted cap & rotor all were changed,but it's still doing the same thing!

Any thoughts?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: car slows down quick

How does it idle? Have you checked the fuel pressure? How about rapping on the catalytic converter with a wooden dowel or rubber hammer to listen for a rattling noise? If there are no other symptoms, I would suspect a fuel supply problem or a plugged catalytic converter.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

i got one for you is your e-brake on just a lil bit??? a buddy of mine had the same symptoms on his explorer and his e-brake was engaged a lil bit.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:47 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah I would check the e-brake, then make sure you arent in 4hi or something like that. Some other thoughts are that you need to change the differential fluids and/or the transmission fluid. Otherwise my guesses would be either a fuel delivery problem, which shouldn't make it slow down fast, or a dragging brake pad which could cause it to slow down fast and have a bunch of resistance to overcome to get going. Hope this helps, keep us informed.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 AM

I'vedoubt if it was thee-brakes. BecauseIpull it every now & then. Plus, I've never really used them, maybe once since I bought it! I mean I could be doing 65 mph on straight roadthen I take my foot of the gas pedal the speed reduces very fast it feels that I'm pushing the brake. Another thing when ever I put the gear ondrive on straight road the car wouldn't move and if it does you'd barely feel it!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:54 AM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point

with your last post it sounds like you could have some potential transmission problems. It could be your torque convertor, best bet is to have someone check out your drivetrain. I would also suggest checking the transfer case.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:14 AM

thanks I'll check them and update!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Beginning Member
Blazing Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Could also be a tune up issue. When I first purchased my 2001 I had the same feeling. Did the tune up and changed the tires (since they were old) and it was like night and day difference.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 PM
gohan69 is an unknown quantity at this point

if your cat is plugged GM has a warranty on it for up 80000 miles or december 2008 just got mine replaced for free

Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 AM

I actually changed my tires couple days ago, it's accelerating a lil better BUT they told me that I need to change my upper & lower ball joints!
Do you think that has to do with anything?

Quick Reply: car slows down quick