Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Car Won't Start... easy solution?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:33 AM
Faithfulxtreme is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Car Won't Start... easy solution?

Okay, so I have a Blazer Xtreme 2001 and it won't start... I've had it for 4 years and am embarrassed to say I've abused it... It's my first car and I love it, but I've missed a lot of routine maintenance on it... anyways here's the problem:

The car won't start... I guess blazers (and maybe all cars) have a safety feature when you go below one quarter oil, it doesn't start up to prevent you from blowing your engine... well, now I have oil in it, I hope to God my battery's not blown...I'm a total noob, so how do I check the battery to make sure I don't have to buy a new one? (expensive!) and is there anything else that could be the problem? Could I check this myself or do I need to take it into the shop?

I'm all about figuring out how to fix everything about my car myself... haha! Alright guys, troubleshoot with a noob (at cars in general :S), just joined the forum too, thought it was really cool there was a forum for blazers!!! XD

I have no form of transportation, and I have to get this thing running, so any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

FaithfulXtreme

Old 10-02-2010, 03:25 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Just need a bit more info, does the the dash lights come on when you turn the key on? if yes does the engin turn over? if it's a dud battery you wont have any lights come up on the dash. Also check your battery connections to make sure they are not lose on battery terminals.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Yeah, dash lights come on and the engine turns over...I'm checking the battery terminal connections before I post this and....
---------------------------------------------------------------
connection is good...got another jump, the guys said it's not my battery...could it be my alternator? What if I add some fuel treatment, or cleaner? I did go a while low on oil.... maybe a build-up? I can't be without my car for long... gah!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:56 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Is your fuel pump kicking on?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:03 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

how low on oil did you go? like 1 quart or 4.5 quarts????

Old 10-02-2010, 11:41 PM

Not even sure what a fuel pump is :'( don't laugh...

Old 10-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Beginning Member
Bob'sblazer is on a distinguished road

A fuel pump is exactly that! it supplies fuel to the engine so it can run. open your drivers window, close the door, turn down the radio, then turn the key to "on" DONT crank it! just listen for a soft hum, or buzz. that will tell you if the FP is running. otherwise you have some work to do...

Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 AM

oh crap...it must be the fuel pump...no whine or hum or buzz under the conditions you told me to meet....whaqt does this mean now? Cost of repair...Can I repair it myself?.......

Old 10-03-2010, 09:50 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Fuel pumps are an expensive item if ya get an AC/Delco pump which is recommended for these blazers.. Where do you live? Anywheres near NY or Long Island? If you were close to me i`d help ya with it..I have a 2002 Xtreme, since 07 and love it, ya cant abuse vehicles these days they`re not built like they used to be..

Old 10-17-2010, 04:34 AM

EVERYONE, thank you for your help, I got it fixed...it WAS the Fuel Pump, and it WAS expensive. HOWEVER, my blazer is running better than the first day I received it! WOW. Now it's time for some cosmetic repairs interior/exterior haha!

Thank God for AAA. XD

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start... easy solution?