Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Changed heater core-now keyless remote doesn't work!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
SeanPatrick is on a distinguished road
Default Changed heater core-now keyless remote doesn't work!

Changed the heather core over the weekend on a 2001 S-10 4WD, 4.3L V6. Now the remote locks don't work - any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you forget to reconnect the RKE module located just behind the DLC under the driver side dash to the left of the steering column?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:28 PM

Is that a wire? Left of the column there's the fusebox, the wire that goes to the door-light switch. There's an interface that looks like it for connecting to for diagnostics, it's still dangling (waiting til this is fixed before putting all the panels back on) but it doesn't connect to anything.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:56 PM
pappyam is on a distinguished road

The remote key less entry module (RKE) is located and attached on the flip side of the instrument panel sound insulator. This is the same panel as the dlc (obd connector) and is just behind it. If you removed this panel and disconnected the RKE then the remote locks won't work.
Don

Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks for your help with this - I'm afraid I'm having a hard time telling what's the RKE, dlc and obd. I have a wire dangling in the region just left of the steering column, but I just can't seem to find a mate for it.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The RKE (remote keyless entry) module is a rectangular box that is mounted to the trim panel just above the brake & throttle pedals on the driver side. The DLC (data link connector) is the connector visible with the trim panel installed and is what you connect to in order to scan for stored trouble codes (CLICK HERE for a page that explains the DLC). After removing the screws that hold the trim panel in place and locating the DLC, drop the trim panel down. The RKE module will be located between the DLC & the firewall slightly off to the side.

It is also possible that you did not properly reconnect the grounds.

Here's an image that might help - note the arrow pointing towards the front of the vehicle:

Attached Thumbnails Changed heater core-now keyless remote doesn't work!-rke_location.gif  
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM

Okay, got it. Feel a little silly I just hadn't replaced that trim panel yet, didn't really think of it as a component.

I still have no AC though and a couple wires dangling. Are there sometimes wires that aren't used, like for options this car didn't get?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Some are, some aren't. Labeling makes reassembly much easier. I have had that bite me on a few occasions.