Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Chevrolet Blazer S10 4.3 engine rattles

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 04:34 AM
supra2700 is on a distinguished road
Default Chevrolet Blazer S10 4.3 engine rattles

Hello, everyone,

I´m completely new in this Forum. Sorry if my English is not the best, I live in Germany

I bought a 2001 Blazer S10 with a bunch of things to do, most of them I was able to fix, e.g. not working headlights, suspension problems and so on.

No I have to solve the last problem and to be honest, I have no idea...

I have a loud rattle in the engine compartment of my 2001 S10. The engine control light is also on. The rattling gets faster when I accelerate, when I accelerate the control light goes off briefly and then on again.

I have already swapped spark plugs (they looked good in themselves) and the distributor cap with my finger.

Anyone have an idea?

Best

Old 10-22-2021, 09:34 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by supra2700
Hello, everyone,

I´m completely new in this Forum. Sorry if my English is not the best, I live in Germany

I bought a 2001 Blazer S10 with a bunch of things to do, most of them I was able to fix, e.g. not working headlights, suspension problems and so on.

No I have to solve the last problem and to be honest, I have no idea...

I have a loud rattle in the engine compartment of my 2001 S10. The engine control light is also on. The rattling gets faster when I accelerate, when I accelerate the control light goes off briefly and then on again.

I have already swapped spark plugs (they looked good in themselves) and the distributor cap with my finger.

Anyone have an idea?

Best
Please link to a video (with sound) of the rattle on youtube and I will help diagnose.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:48 PM

Here is the link to the video:

In addition it starts very bad with colder temperature as I figured out a few days ago... Already changed were both lambda probes and the tempreture sensor.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:52 PM
free2ryanh is on a distinguished road

To me it sounds like piston slap is it a bit worse when it's cold?

Old 10-25-2021, 12:52 AM

No, its always same.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:58 AM

That is a lifter ticking. If quiet when cold and begins ticking when engine is warmed up, then suspect low oil pressure is allowing hydraulic lifter to collapse. What is oil pressure maxum when cold, and minimum when engine is hot? What weight of oil? I had this exact problem on mine when I bought it.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:03 AM

Mine had bad crankshaft bearings and low oil pressure, presumably from intake gaskets leaking coolant into the oil in the past. It was quiet when cold. Below is video of mine.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-25-2021 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:14 AM

For starting problem, monitor fuel pressure at the Schrader valve near the distributor. Turn key on without starting. 2 sec pulse should bring pressure above 55 psi and it should hold. If not suspect fuel pump and do further diagnosis.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:53 AM

Here are 2 videos for the oil pressure

Cold:

Warm:

Where is the shrader located to check the fuel pressure?

Old 10-25-2021, 08:37 AM

The Shrader valve for fuel pressure is on the driver's side next to the distributor. I guess you will need to convert 55psi to kPa for the test. Fuel pressure gauges screw onto the Schrader valve.

Oil pressure seems good but I suspect vehicle is not fully warmed up. Coolant temp far below 100C. I am most interested in oil pressure at idle in drive after vehicle has been driven for at least 20km (speed about 550 RPM).

Also I see service engine soon light is on. Mine was too - flashing sometimes. Gave a false misfire code P0304 from loose bearings. Do you have a scanner to read the codes? If not I suggest BAFX bluetooth OBD2 device from Amazon ($22 US), Android cell phone, and Torque Light (free on Google Play) if you just want to read codes and do very basic things. Then if you want to actually do diagnosis with a scanner, get Car Diagnostic Pro on Google Play ($9 US)

Please advise.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-25-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Blazer S10 4.3 engine rattles