Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Cleaning Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011 | 11:09 AM
|
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cleaning Fuel Pump

Has anyone ever dropped the tank and took out the fuel pump and tried to clean the fuel sending unit to fix the floating fuel gauge needle problem?

Old 01-22-2011 | 12:16 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I know of one person that tried it. Worked for a little while and then went back to being non-functional.

Mine crapped out on me a few years back and I decided it wasn't worth it until the fuel pump crapped out, too. That happened a couple of weeks ago. The new Delhpi/AC Delco units come with a new wiring harness (supposed to be the weak link in the pumps going out) and the fuel sending part is also supposed to be improved.

If you've got the time you can try cleaning up the contact area between the float arm end and the cylinder but I wouldn't hold out much hope that it would fix the problem permanently.

Old 01-22-2011 | 01:04 PM
|
Starting Member

Yah I feel the same, I've just been using the odometer now for 2 years. It would just be nice to have a working fuel gauge at times. Oh well, I'll wait for the fuel pump to go and then I'll have a working one. You never know though, I might be bored one of these days and clean it. Ill post on here if I do. Thanks

Old 01-22-2011 | 08:24 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

lol me and my dad droped a tank on an 97 s10 pickup sl series today it aint fun and easy .

we had to replace the fuel pump and it was so cold by be =/ 6 degrees

im glad its done now to work on my 1992 chevy blazer s10 tomorrow since i my cat converter got cloged and i fixed it but the truck runs bad still . i think it back fired on to my plugs and burned em .. well see

Old 01-23-2011 | 10:49 AM
|
Starting Member

Yah I've dropped mine before it sucks but after that first time you kind of get it figured out. What fuel pump did you end up getting?

Old 01-23-2011 | 11:51 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yea its not that hard after a few times the only hard part was the weather but yea we just build a house and no garage yet so thats what we get i guess lol

we bought an ac delco fuel pump

Old 01-23-2011 | 11:55 AM
|
Starting Member

Yah this cold makes everything a pain. Although I'm in Florida so it's typically in the 40''s on most cold fronts so it's not a huge deal haha. Yah ACDELCO is the way to go. How much you end up getting it for and how much?

Old 01-23-2011 | 12:00 PM
BF Guru
Exclamation

dont know my dad payed for it and it was 6 degrees when we droped the tank. it got to the point i was doing this >>>

today im working on my 92 s10 blazer .. my cat got cloged and i busted a hole into it but the truck aint running right

when it gets hot it just stalls . were replaceing the spark plugs after lunch

Old 01-23-2011 | 12:01 PM
BF Guru

maybe the sparks melted with back fire =X

Old 01-23-2011 | 12:09 PM
|
Starting Member
Talking

o I gotcha thats's cold. I haven't had a working fuel gauge in 2 years. I almost just want to by a new pump entirely but I guess it's not worth it. I just took my cat off because the same thing happened to mine. Then everything got pushed into the muffler and it really drove crappy. So I just cut it all off

Quick Reply: Cleaning Fuel Pump