Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Cranks, no start, 2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD (Need help ASAP)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member
Iomega0318 is on a distinguished road
Question Cranks, no start, 2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD (Need help ASAP)

Haven't been on in ages but unfortunately have to be again..
My 2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD will crank but no matter what will not start.. the fuel pump did go out so just replaced that and the fuel filter.. we also had an error code related to the crankshaft timing so my BFs dad said replace the positioning sensor, so we replaced it.. so we have spark, fuel, etc.. The battery is brand new, I'm assuming because it cranks its not the starter.. I did read the sticky but have no idea where to go from here..

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need this car asap.. ask me anything you need to know and if any of you guys live in Lubbock, TX hit me up lol..

Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

You KNOW you have spark and fuel.. or assume you do?

Put old plug in wire from coil {unhook from dist} lay it on metal and see if it sparks when cranked.

Then.. sorry ... you HAVE to get a fuel pressure test gauge and make sure you have enough pressure to start.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member

I know I have spark I just don't know if it's enough, what you suggested was how I was told to test it.. I am going to go ahead and replace the plugs tomorrow, already had a new set of wires so might as well change those too.. and I will try to get a fuel tester but even renting them here is expensive.. I charged the battery again and it literally almost turns over, the engine will roar I guess as if it's about to start and then wont.. the check engine light has also gone away after replacing the CPS.. and as far as the fuel goes if you open the test valve and push it in fuel will spray out..

Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Beginning Member
ZR2Winnebago is on a distinguished road

When was the last time you changed your cap and rotor?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Beginning Member

NM, googled it, well I've never replaced it but it looks newer than most parts in my car.. also forgot to mention.. what happened, we stopped for gas filled up then drive a short distance, all I heard was a small pop like someone popping bubblegum, then it drove for a short distance then just died and wouldn't restart, had it towed home from there..

Last edited by Iomega0318; 03-16-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Google!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 AM
spittybays

Wow that "pop" is a good lead that it's electro-mechanical. Had a friend with a Tahoe, chased our tails for a week putting in parts. We were getting spark but we had are heads set it was too weak. Sometimes start and run like crap. Finally pulled distrubutor, missing gear tooth. Junk yard part. Ran like a Swiss watch.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Beginning Member

so could be the distributor cap? I think AutoZone sells them for like $60, but I could be looking at the wrong thing since I'm not sure..

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
spittybays

Originally Posted by Iomega0318
so could be the distributor cap? I think AutoZone sells them for like $60, but I could be looking at the wrong thing since I'm not sure..
Yes but what I was refering to was the distributor unit. Go to rockauto use there catalog page use the drop-downs till you get to distributor. The entire thing can be replaced for not alot of money. The gear is what caused the problem on the Tahoe. A good inspection of the cap is a good place to start but thats one of the things we tossed at his truck. Think, I have spark, I have fuel, I have compression but not all happening at the right time.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Beginning Member

Your talking about this right? Just $120 cheaper at rockauto lol..
Cardone New/Distributor (84-1639) | 2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD 6 Cylinders W 4.3L SFI | AutoZone.com
http://my.cardone.com/English/club/m...ARTNUM=841639#

Is there any way to test it or anything to be sure?

Last edited by Iomega0318; 03-16-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 PM
spittybays

I only did this once and it was by luck we found the broken gear. I would google around something like, broken distributor symptoms, how to check for bad distributor. Stuff like that for sure before you go laying out cash. We just got lucky and yes thats what fixed our problem.

Quick Reply: Cranks, no start, 2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD (Need help ASAP)