Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Cranks that will work in different engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:08 PM
96Jimmy2dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cranks that will work in different engines

I have a 96 Jimmy 4.3L that needs a new crank, the engine code is W will a crank from a 90 4.3L engine code Z work in the 96??

Old 08-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cranks that will work in different engines

I'm going to say probably not... To ensure compatability, you should look for a '96-current 4.3L to pull the crank from.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 PM

This auction on ebay is the reason i'm askin, cause i've been told it goes like 88 to 91, then 92 to 95, then 96+ and if it will work then i can save a few bucks, but if not i don't want to mess up my 96 for just a few bucks. And 2nd if this guy is selling this crank wrong he needs to be let known, cause some one might be losing a big chunk of money they can't get back. So please reply if u think he's right or not cause i'm honestly confused on what to use.

eBay Crankshaft

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Fixed Long Link.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... I'm not sure. From the looks of the quick searches I did on PartsAmerica.com, the '90 has a PN of 12720 for a remanufactured crank and the '96 has a PN of 11720, but both note the same part numbers and casting numbers. The only difference being a tapped hole in the #1 crank throw... I'm not sure what that would be used for...

One thing for sure, I would be leary of purchasing something as crucial as a crank for $25 on eBay. That is something that I would want to see in person before laying any cash out. You really need to mic the journals to ensure that they are not egged or haven't been cut. If they have been cut, then you'll need oversized bearings. I'm not trying to scare you away from this crank, but there are a LOT of unknowns...

Old 08-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Well i'm not wanting to purchase this crank on ebay for those reasons, it's just the reason i'm tryin to find out if i can use the crank out of my 90 that i bought for parts for my wifes old blazer she had, instead of getting a whole new one for about 250 bucks. So i guess right now, the ? is what is that hole for on the #1 crank throw, does it matter? if it's there, is it there for a reason? what did gm find out over the years that makes it important? or is it just there for looks,lol?

Old 08-25-2007, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll let you read through this tech article. I suspect your answer is in there.
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar40047.htm

Old 08-25-2007, 09:48 PM

It has helped alot just makin sure i understand it all,lol, that's a very good article, if i understand it right, i should make sure i stick with a 96+ cause of the balance shaft. i could use the 90 but it could be too shakey and that's not good in the long run, don't need to shake it apart once i get it running,lol. Thanx for all the help u've all done. But any one that has any more info i'd really be willing to read it.