Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Crazy, mysterious, radiator/antifreeze leak issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member
lostrealist is on a distinguished road
Default Crazy, mysterious, radiator/antifreeze leak issue.

It has been a long time since I've posted here, but I'm seriously lost with this one and I really need some advice.

I have a 1996 s10 ZR2 Blazer Off-Road edition. It has roughly 180k. About two years ago, (around 40k miles ago), I had my radiator, water pump, and thermostat replaced. My dad did all the work since I was unemployed at the time. I know he flushed it a few times. Everything has been running fine until about two months ago.

I kept having this mysterious antifreeze leak where it would leak puddles right beside my passenger front tire. But, whenever I would take it to my mechanic (I've been using these guys for about a year since my dad's shop is two hours away and I'm never that far south. And working two jobs, it's hard to be without a car for long periods of time so I normally drop it off in the morning and they deliver to my work when it's done.) it would never do it! They ran dye in it, still couldn't find it. It was still doing it off and on, so I took it in about three times and still, nothing.

About two weeks ago, the leak got considerably worse. But, it was like I was never loosing coolant. All my levels ran normal, it wasn't going into my oil, they still couldn't find anything. Finally, I got it to leak and they said my system wasn't flushed enough and the reservoir was filled with gunk. They flushed it well and it ran a little better. I also replaced my Mass Air Flow sensor too because that code came up when they ran them. They also replaced my thermostat and radiator cap as well for free.

It drove home fine (40 miles/1 hour drive downhill backroads) but when I tried to drive it back to work, it was running way hotter than usual and I had no power. Took it back in, they said it was my catalytic converter. Made an appointment to be fixed the next day and drove it home. Once again, it drove home fine.

Walked out the next morning and noticed I had leaked some antifreeze overnight. Levels were a little low, so I added more, hopped in and started my trip to work. Immediately, my temp gauge shot up WAY high. Not into the red, but my check gauges light kicked on. I pulled over, let it cool down, then noticed my radiator AND reservoir was bone dry. I added some water to it to see if I could maybe limp it up but it was pouring out as fast as I poured it in. So I had it wreckered to the shop.

They said a hose was too tight, fixed it, and guaranteed me that it would not leak again. It's been spotting a few drops here and there (maybe three at the most. Ive been keeping cardboard under it to keep track wherever I park it for long periods of time) but I was told that was nothing major to worry about.

I took it in on Monday to have my 4x4 vacuum lines replaced. They said they added some coolant because I was a little low. I've had a little more drippage than normal, but it wasn't pouring out before. They said everything looked fine.

I've been checking my radiator fluids daily to make sure it's not getting low and it hasn't.

Well tonight, I drove home as normal. I parked and went over to my passenger side to get groceries and was hit with a HUGE wave of white smoke. I noticed it was POURING out from under my hood. My temp gauge read about 175, which is normal, so I popped the hood. The smoking decreased and now it looks like my engine and parts underneath is splattered with antifreeze!

I am so at my wits end with this. I'm not sure what to do because it's running normal. I don't know if it's trying to die on me. Part of me wants to find a new mechanic but these guys have treated me well and know my Blazer in and out. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I can't work on it myself and I can't tell heads or tails what I'm looking at.

Any advice/information/ideas are greatly appreciated. It's late here and I plan on taking it back in tomorrow but I'm so lost on this. They keeps saying everything is normal but if it was normal, why is it leaking and why can't they find the leak? =(

Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Easiest way to find it is to open the hood, start the truck, then stand there till you see a leak. If its going that low you shouldn't have any issue seeing it. You may have to wait till the truck is at temp but it will show. Also set your hvac controls to whatever you have been running them at lately. Make sure you have a flashlight and just look around everywhere.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Do you hear any sqeaking near the front of the engine?Also check the intake manifold and see if you have any leaks coming from the bolts.Loo and see if there is any coolant leaking from the back of the engine.The later model jimmys with 4.3`s are notorious for having intake manifold leaks.With this information we should be able to give you more of diagnosis.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member

No squeaking. Everything seems to be running fine. All fluids are fine and my reservoir is at the right level. With the manifold and the bolts.... I have no clue where they are quite honestly. I'm not sure what I'm looking at when it comes to stuff like that.

Now, I do see a lot of green fluid in the pan (skid plate? I have the off-road edition so everything underneath is plated) right underneath the motor when I shine the light down.

It leaked like maybe two drops after I shut the hood and turned it off. It dripped down from like the center but I don't know if that came off that pan.

I'm sorry. I really don't know my way under the hood. lol. I work on dogs, not cars. =(

Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default Is there anyone you know who can look?

Otherwise take the breather assembly off if you can or have somebody do it for you.If its the intake bolts leaking its usauly those in the back and then the fluid runs down the back of the engine as with yours the skid plate.A pressure test done through the radiator should show where the leak is coming from.I wish you best of luck.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Beginning Member

I took it in yesterday morning to my mechanic. They ran a pressure test and told me that the radiator wasn't holding pressure and showed me where it was leaking from under the cap, since they had put dye in the fluid as well. I've had three caps now put on it so they suggested I get a new radiator. Turns out the radiator that I thought was new that was put in in 2011? It was a used one. I didn't know that until yesterday.

He told me I could still use it like that if I kept an eye on the coolant. But leaving work last night, I noticed I have a huge river of antifreeze leaking out from under my car from where it had leaked. So, I'll be getting it fixed today because antifreeze is way too expensive for it to be leaking out like that every day. Not to mention, I have two dogs and antifreeze poisoning is not something I want.

He pressure tested it and said everything else looked fine. So hopefully, replacing the radiator will fix all of these problems.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:07 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Awesome, Glad its fixed, the plastic tanks on these things suck.