Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Did I blow my front seal???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Beginning Member
BRYAN0010 is on a distinguished road

After some research, I'm going with the transfer shaft seal also. Check out the link. Thanks.GMC Sonoma & Chevy S-10 Transfer Case Vacuum Switch

Old 09-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Beginning Member
arudlang is on a distinguished road

Great info, thanks! When I get a chance I will drain the transfer case and see what comes out (should be gear lube, if any red ATF comes out then that input seal is probably the culprit right?) and then I'll also drain the transmission again so I can refill both and see what happens, see if the tranny fluid level goes down then for sure that seal would be bad... or does anyone think I oughta just drop the transfer case and do that seal right away? As I understand it getting the transfer case in and out is a little less headache than the transmission...

Old 09-29-2014, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Transfer case fluid is transmission fluid, not gear oil. Remove the top Fill plug, and if fluid comes out your seal is leaking. This will also screw up your heater vent selections

Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 AM
Beginning Member

I've installed a reman transmission, transfer case input seal, auxiliary transmission cooler, inline transmission fluid filter, and a MaxTow transmission temp gauge. Everything seems to be working pretty good.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:11 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by BRYAN0010
I've installed a reman transmission, transfer case input seal, auxiliary transmission cooler, inline transmission fluid filter, and a MaxTow transmission temp gauge. Everything seems to be working pretty good.
good job

Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member
arudlang is on a distinguished road

I got my transfer case out last night. Still have to acquire the input shaft seal and the gasket to the adapter. Question, there doesn't appear to be any other gasket like on the transmission side inside of the transmission/adapter. Is that correct? Is it pretty much just wide open fluid allowed into the adapter area and only the input shaft seal on the transfer case is responsible for keeping fluid out?

Old 10-28-2014, 05:03 AM
Beginning Member

That is correct. There is no seal on the output shaft of the transmission. The input seal on the transfer case is a dual seal. It keeps the fluid in the transfer case and the the transmission fluid out.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:04 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:31 AM
BF Veteran

When I di my tranny the adapter is where it leaked when filling it intil I tightened it up so I would say yes there is fluid in there also

Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road
Default gaskets

Originally Posted by arudlang
I got my transfer case out last night. Still have to acquire the input shaft seal and the gasket to the adapter. Question, there doesn't appear to be any other gasket like on the transmission side inside of the transmission/adapter. Is that correct? Is it pretty much just wide open fluid allowed into the adapter area and only the input shaft seal on the transfer case is responsible for keeping fluid out?
The input seal for the transfer case is a double lip seal. Keeps fluid from getting in or out of the TFC. The rear of the transmission to TFC adapter takes a 5 hole gasket. The transmission side (front) of the adapter takes a square o-ring seal to keep all the fluid from the transmission from leaking out. The seal should have come with the transmission. The 5 hole gasket you can get from any trans shop. If you can't try a NAPA parts store. PM if you come up short and I'll send you one on the mail. I stock it. I still build the occasional 4L60E. Tranzman

Quick Reply: Did I blow my front seal???