Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Did I just fubar my trans...again???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:42 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Well... if my trans cooler isn't working as they are suggesting, it would certainly cause issues, no matter what type. Of driving I am doing.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:52 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
Well... if my trans cooler isn't working as they are suggesting, it would certainly cause issues, no matter what type. Of driving I am doing.
Your trans cooler is in your radiator, it also serves to warm the fluid when cold. The cooler they are suggesting is an add on.

I'm just going to go out and say it, this sounds shady, the bottom line is regardless it shouldn't have overheated unless something was wrong. Its more likely you overheated it with all your reverse driving and they are just covering there butts cause someone screwed up putting it back together. Sorry to say I have heard of and had the very same troubles with transmission mechanics. First price is cheap, you get the truck, it goes nuts, they want another $500 because whatever happened wasn't entirely there fault. Bla bla...

I hope it works out for you, I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:32 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I agree with monkey. I dont think the trans overheated. I beat the hell out of my 91 in the woods,etc and its only got the radiator cooler and ive never had a problem. Sounds like they are covering up they're butts. But whatever as long as they fix it right.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 AM

Yes, and with the trans being bad previously, isn't it possible that it got clogged with junk from before? Or, for that matter, could it have gotten some mud/grass caked in it or something and not be working? That's basically what I'm thinking. Plus, I would like to get some toys (ATVs) so towing those won't stress anything much, but a trans cooler is just cheap insurance right?

As far as the quality of the shop, my friend works at a mechanic shop and this is the shop they use. I trust her when she says that in 2 years they've had one car come back with trans trouble, and they found evidence of burnouts and stuff with it.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 AM

Well, got another call from the shop and they have their proof that I went offroading. Apparently the clutches were shot and I have mud caked inside the torque converter.

Since I'm a friend of the person they regularly do work for, they'll warranty labor, but they want me to buy the upgraded rebuild kit which they say will handle offroading (to an extent) so I should be good there.

Only problem now is that it's $645 bucks for that kit. Plus the $145 for the cooler, and I'm up about 800 dollars on this trans re-rebuild.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

645 bucks for the "upgrade" kit? What all does that include? You can buy the performance kits for like 300 bucks..But from what i learned,have them buy the kit. Its more money at the time which is a ripoff, BUT if it breaks etc they have to warranty it again. I cheaped out on buying my own fuel pump since it was cheaper and having a shop install it. 4 times later,835 bucks down the drain with ****ty airtex pumps and labor i finally fessed up a ac delco.

Also the cooler kit. you can get for like 60 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-M-7...Q5fAccessories

I run it on my 92'. works great.

Last edited by chris015; 07-01-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:46 PM

I don't know. They said it'd handle offroading unless I get really really stuck though, and I trust them to not lie about that ****.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Trans guy just sent a picture of the bellhousing... it's got some mud in it, and shows the torque converter with dirt on it, but nothing IN the t.c. like I thought. I'm uploading the pic he sent me now.

In the meantime, he said that because some bearings are worn out now my options to rebuild it are either buy a new case, or the upgrade kit which includes:

New (upgraded) sunshell
Upgraded clutches
Upgraded steels (parts that go between clutches, right?)
Shift Kit
Upgraded Servo
Heavier duty bands
And a new torque converter. He said it’s an RB one, supposed to be heavy duty?

Edit: Pic

Last edited by TheRandom1; 07-01-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 PM

Picture of the clutches in the case. I don't know what is right/wrong here, can anybody comment?

Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all they should have flushed your trans system in the first place. Second your trans is a closed system, only way dirt could have gotten in is though an opening! That sure doesn't look like alot of dirt in the bell. This is all besides the point as they have you buy the jewels now. So my serious advice is; BEFORE giving them any more money, GET IN WRITING, EXACTLY what service theye are selling you.

Quick Reply: Did I just fubar my trans...again???