Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Does support bar have to be removed to change filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road
Default Does support bar have to be removed to change filter?

I have read on some threads that on SOME S10 Blazers, the cross/support bar near the back of the transmission has to be removed in order to remove the transmission pan. It sure looks to me like the pan will come without having to remove that bar.

Reading Chilton's manual online it says the same thing, that on SOME vehicles it must be removed and the back of the transmission supported.

Reading a printed Haynes manual, it makes no mention of the bar and gives no hint of having to do anything but remove bolts and drop the pan.

I know the best way to find out is crawl under and just see if it comes out, but I don't have the time or energy to just try and see. I don't have a lot of tools myself and would rather not tackle it if it requires supporting the transmission and removing a support bar.

Is there a way to know for sure if it's just a simple..... unbolt and drop pan job?

93 S10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3 w engine.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Beginning Member
dreadinger is on a distinguished road

on my 1995 I had to remove it and it is a very tight fit around the Y pipe for the exhaust.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to know for sure is to drop the pan and see if you can get it out of there. Don't force it because that is when you break things (wiring to the solenoids, etc).

Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by dreadinger
on my 1995 I had to remove it and it is a very tight fit around the Y pipe for the exhaust.
From what I have gathered, 91-94's are basically identical.

So I'm wondering if 95 was when there was changes made to the body and chassis.

Anyone specifically have a 93 that's reading that knows for sure?

Thanks swartlkk as I know that is the sure fire way to know. I'll do that if comes to it but was just hoping to get some insight from others who have this same year and have done the replacement themselves.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

One other determining factor in this is the health of the mounts (motor & transmission). If the transmission mount has sagged a lot, it may require the removal of the cross member where on another vehicle with a new (or otherwise proper height mount) may give the room necessary.

I have done transmission filter services on quite a few 2nd gens and have only had to remove the cross member once and it was on another 2000 truck. My old 2k Bravada didn't require the removal of the cross member so I found that very odd. I didn't look too much further into it, but later I did end up replacing the transmission mount for him.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:39 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Interesting notion. I have motor mounts purchased but trans may need checked as well.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:07 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I know on my 89 Jimmy 2WD I have to remove the transmission crossmember. I have not tried to do it on my 2K GMC Jimmy.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Starting Member
Cidium is on a distinguished road

I am getting ready, got all the parts to do the tranny filter and tranny mount on my 92 blazer. I have looked it over and the pan bolts on the rear are right above the cross member. I spose one could get to them but it just seems easier to drop the member and make life easier.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

On my '93 Bravada, I could not get the pan down without removing the crossmember.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Starting Member

Thanks everyone. I'll attempt it tomorrow and let everyone know what happened.

On a side note, where is the best location AND which hose do I remove to do a full transmission fluid replacement?

I want to remove the return line and pump out fluid while I pour in fresh fluid to do a full replacement as I have Auto-RX in the transmission right now and need to replace all the fluid in the entire system.

Quick Reply: Does support bar have to be removed to change filter?