Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Drivetrain average lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Beginning Member
RonB is on a distinguished road
Default Drivetrain average lifespan

I'm looking at a 95 Blazer 4x4 but it has 210,000 miles. I was told the motor was replaced 30,000 miles ago or so but the transmission was original. I have owned a 92 S10 pickup, 98 Sonoma pickup and a 02 Extreme Blazer but they didn't get that high in milage. My feeling is this is pushing it and will probably need replacing sooner than later?

This is a even up trade for a 94 Mustang GT so I can garage my other one. I'm just afraid of a big repair bill sooner than later. Thoughts please.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Depending on how much the tranns got maintnance over its lifetime.If it was maintained well and its still shifting good who knows I may still have alot of life in it.I would think though that with that many miles it could be nearing the end of lifespan.The 4l60e has certain issues that must be maintained at certain intervals for it to have continued longgivity.Example the boost line pressure valave in the valve body its recogmended to be changed at 75k.It maintains good line presure for shifting in the trans.Very few people know this.I mnetioned this in another thread people seem to think because theres no plug on the bottom of the pan that the fluid doesnt need to be changed.So you are taking a chance either way.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

I would be scared off buying this unit for a few reasons. First the mileage. I prefer to buy units with low miles and mile them up myself. Second, who did the motor? A lot of engine builders do poor work and I would never buy a rig with a rebuilt engine unless I knew the builders quality of work. Third, expect to put a trans in it soon. We bought our Blazer with about 30,000 miles on it. I put a valve body in it at 65,000 miles and the torque converter just went out at 113,000 miles and polluted the trans with metal. I just had to replace them both with GM remans. The issues I had with my transmission are pretty common. I read a lot of threads. A 4L60E trans in a Blazer with that many miles is rare IMO.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:02 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

the 4L60E is a strong transmission. Theres a reason why a lot of cars use them and why a lot of people use them when building rigs. Its not uncommon to see one go 300k+ miles if they are taken care of, and then there are some that go out early (just like everything in a car) but with that high of miles you dont know how well it was taken care of and it might still have the factory fluid in it, so the first thing you need to do is change the fluid and see what its like. If its not burnt or anything then i wouldnt worry too much because it had probably been changed already, then install a drain plug in the pan.

As far as the engine goes if they are taken care of they will easily go 300k+ miles, but you need to find out who rebuilt it. My friend bought a 4Runner with a rebuilt engine and we later found out the guy did it himself and all he did was put new over sized bearings in and didnt do anything to the worn crank which is a huge no no. So thats just an example of what some people will do..

Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the imput and advice and some tips maintaing the transmission. I'm honestly not to concerned with the motor. I'm capable of rebuilding it or I'm sure I could find on fairly cheap. I'm not purchasing the Blazer it is a straight up trade for a 94 Mustang GT. I think I'm just trying to talk myself out of the trade as I would prefer a 2 door 4x4. I think I'm just scared to get stuck putting money in something thats not my first choice. It's not something I need to be in a rush for so I can keep looking.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I had one with 202k miles and the tranny was still shifting perfect. It really depends like anything.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member

I just asked for the vin to do a carfax. He is no longer intrested. LOL Thats fine I think I will hold out till a can get a 2 door.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Beginning Member
Chevymec is on a distinguished road

Mine had about 212k before it checked out. Cracked cylinder and piston.