Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Was driving my 98 blazer and then no oomph :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Beginning Member
Trying is on a distinguished road
Default Was driving my 98 blazer and then no oomph :(

Hey all,
I have read a few posts about coolant in the oil etc. and many say it's the LIM gasket. Went to D-tips to check out how to change it etc.

My main question i guess is would it still be the intake gasket, oil is milky white, or might it be the headgasket that's gone? Was driving along all good and well after changing water pump. Let it idle for 30 minutes after changing pump, drove it for about an hour then when i pushed the peddle it just bogged down.

Got a tow to the house by a passing neighbour, happened like right around the corner from the house. Let it cool down and checked the dipstick and it was milky The Blazer would crank but i killed it when it started sounding not right.

Friend came over with a pressure tester the kind you put onto your radiator and i pumped away but no real pressure build up. Pulled the hose going to the air intake from the engine and water/gunk was coming out. Took the air intake off of the throttle body and the body was full of water. Not to mention the air filter. Drained the oil and it came out in spurts of oil/gunk, water.

So is it more likely i blew a LIM gasket while driving or the Head gasket? I have already started tearing it down to get to the LIM gasket but thought i would ask

Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like you are in need of a new engine, doing the gasket now is worthless, if the oil is milky, and it was making a lot of noise when you started it, the damage is already done.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member

Well, it wasn't making alot of noise. More like it was starting to bog down again after i started it so i switched it off. If it makes a difference.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Starting Member
Jakeduece is on a distinguished road

Could be either. Intake gaskets are more common to go on these 4.3's than head gaskets, so I would definitely look at those first. Another thing to think about, is that the bearings in your motor already got to taste the water that's mixed in your oil. Bearings don't like water. If I were you, I would be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best!

PS. I just saw that you changed the water pump. Out of curiosity, how come?

Last edited by Jakeduece; 05-21-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, always prepare for the worst But hoping for the best
Changed the water pump because there was water, not oil, coming out of the weep hole.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Kreigeist89 is on a distinguished road

Did you check the LIM gasket yet?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:59 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

do a compression test if you want to check the head gasket..

Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Beginning Member

Haven't checked the LIM gasket yet. Got halfway tearing it down yesterday, got all the hoses, electrical, A/C compressor and Alternator etc. off and was going to finish today after work. It has been raining and storming all day here...of course

Didn't fancy doing it since i am working in my driveway. I am *hoping* to have it done by Thursday/Friday depending on work hours.

I will ask my friend if he has a compression test kit tomorrow though.

Thanks for help/suggestions so far all

Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Beginning Member

w00t!

Success!

Turns out it was the LIM Gasket afterall. Was worried about the water that got into the engine but flushed it with 5 gallons of diesel while the drain plug was still out to get most of the gunk out before putting manifold back on.

Also, and maybe the biggest thing, once you have it all back together. New oil, filter, coolant etc. before you try to start it take out all your sparkplugs, this includes the PITA #3 plug.

Then when you turn your engine over it will shoot out all the gunk that may have got into the pistons.

If you don't do this you can create a hydro shock like event that will crack your block.
Alot of crap came out when i done this so was good to do You may be able to use the old Plugs but i went ahead and got new ones.

Got the tips on Diesel and the spark plugs from an old guy i know. He used to race cars in the 60's and 70's and is a great mechanic on anything from cars to Dozers so i trusted him. All worked out great

All in all it prolly took 8 hours or so to do. An hour here and there after work when i had time/energy. Maybe spent $150 on Gasket, brake cleaner, diesel and spark plugs.

She purrs like a kitten again, actually seems to run smoother atm which is prolly due to the new spark plugs and unwanted engine flush Has been running fine with no leaks i can see for a couple of days so hoping it's all good now I will change the oil and filter again next weekend to make sure all the crap is gone.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Kreigeist89 is on a distinguished road

good to hear man