Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Dropped Bolt in Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 04:40 PM
livetrapper13 is on a distinguished road
Default Dropped Bolt in Engine

OK, so I was swapping out my distributor and dropped an 1-1/2" bolt down the hole. I attempted to get it out with an extendable magnet but no luck. While trying to get it out with the magnet the bolt was pushed further down and I heard it fall.My thoughts are that it is currently sitting at the bottom of the oil pan, but I do not know for sure.

First off, could it have fallen all the way to the bottom of the oil pan? I was not sure if it could have gotten past the camshaft. I can't seem to find a good diagram of the 4.3L.

Second, how the heck do I get it out?

I was thinking of getting a borescope and putting it in through the oil drain hole. Now if it is in the oil pan, I assume the only way to get it out would be to drop the oil pan.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. You guys don't know it, but this site has kept the blazer running for the past 3 years.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:57 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Oh man! That really sucks. Is your truck 4wd, if it is, dropping the pain will be a huge PITA, either way, getting this bolt out is going to be a pain man. Good luck, I wish I could help more.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

oil pump will keep it out of the pan

Old 08-30-2013, 05:33 PM

1999 4.3L 4door 4WD

If it didn't get to the oil pan, where would it be located?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:57 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I think it should be in the oil pan
I think the oil pump bolts to the rear crank main cap but the drive from the distributer is offset due to the crank
The other place it could be is the lifter valley

Leaving it in could be catastrophic
A screen on the oil pump pickup will not allow it to be picked up

The question is can you afford a new motor if it grenades because you left it in

Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 PM
97BLAZERMAN is on a distinguished road

What if you drained the oil and used your magnetic probe through the oil drain hole? It might be within reach if you are lucky.

Good Luck!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 97BLAZERMAN
What if you drained the oil and used your magnetic probe through the oil drain hole? It might be within reach if you are lucky.

Good Luck!
I think the bolt is too big to fit through the drain hole.

Tomorrow I'm just going to try dropping the oil pan. It's either that or pull the engine. I figure try getting the oil pan off and if that proves impossible with the engine still in the car then just pull the engine. At least then I would have an excuse to rebuild it.

Thanks for you help guys, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:26 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

To verify the bolt is in the bottom of the oil pan, why don't you hit the oil pan with your fist and see if you here a corresponding clang. That would indicate the bolt is sitting on the pan.
If you decide to go ahead and drop the pan, why don't you see if you can just drop it enough to get a magnet in the side and 'fish' for the bolt. That way you don't have to remove all the 4WD and other obstacles in the way?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:44 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

the gear at the bottom of the distributor runs off the cam, the slotted hole on the bottom spins the oil pump.

https://www.google.com/search?q=4.3+...70%3B256%3B230

Try harder with the magnetic pick up tool, or it might be in by the lifters. how small was it?

Last edited by 10-78 edac; 08-31-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Im assuming you loooked down hole with good light and cannot see the bolt. I would try rigging up a vaccum tube with a wet vac and use a smaller hose attached to vacuum tube and push tube down in hole trying to "fish" or vacuum up bolt.

Quick Reply: Dropped Bolt in Engine