Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Easy way to flush or drain torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 03:23 PM
Juggalonmd is on a distinguished road
Default Easy way to flush or drain torque converter

I recently did a coolant flush on my 89 s10 blazer 2wd AT trans, think its the 4L60e not 100%. After a couple flushes I still had bad coolant flowing thru the system. Went to parts store to get a couple things and noticed some tranny slip and engine over heating. I didn't make it to parts store but next day went got a qrt of t fluid at a corner store pulled t dipstick and noticed fluid on stick was a milky red. So I got new radiator and tranny pan filter kit. Started draining tranny and noticed again the strawberry milk color coming out of pan. I got it all drained and old radiator out but wondering if there is an easy way to drain or flush torque converter without removing it?? I've done some google searching and found there is just as many do not flush trans as there is how to flush trans. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Trying to fix asap

Last edited by Juggalonmd; 03-04-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:11 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The only way I know of to get the old fluid out of the converter completely is to remove the tranny and converter, then dump the fluid from the converter. Probably not what you want to hear.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

At the radiator remove the top cooler line and rig a hose on it long enough to go into a bucket. Have several quarts of fluid open and ready to go, funnel in place in the dipstick tube. Start the vehicle let it idle, you will be pumping fluid out, wait till about 1-2 quarts are in the bucket then start putting new fluid in. watch what is being drained for the new fluid to start showing up. Unforantly water is a death sentence for an automatic transmission. Just know that it can fail at any time so plan your travels with that in mind. It may not be able to get out of the driveway or may last several hundred miles. Good luck.
I would suggest looking for a used unit or have that one rebuilt. The fluid exchange will take every bit of 12 quarts, at my location a case of fluid runs $50-60. and you may have to do it more than once to get it clean and then still have a unit that can fail at any time. If you end up changing out the unit be sure to flush the cooler lines and cooler thoroughly before installation.
Brad

Old 04-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Juggalonmd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Transman304
At the radiator remove the top cooler line and rig a hose on it long enough to go into a bucket. Have several quarts of fluid open and ready to go, funnel in place in the dipstick tube. Start the vehicle let it idle, you will be pumping fluid out, wait till about 1-2 quarts are in the bucket then start putting new fluid in. watch what is being drained for the new fluid to start showing up. Unforantly water is a death sentence for an automatic transmission. Just know that it can fail at any time so plan your travels with that in mind. It may not be able to get out of the driveway or may last several hundred miles. Good luck.
I would suggest looking for a used unit or have that one rebuilt. The fluid exchange will take every bit of 12 quarts, at my location a case of fluid runs $50-60. and you may have to do it more than once to get it clean and then still have a unit that can fail at any time. If you end up changing out the unit be sure to flush the cooler lines and cooler thoroughly before installation.
Brad
Thank you brad I tried that and made a mess. Lol. Not easy doing it alone. Plus started running out of fluid so I stopped. Getting ready to try it again only now I have from oem tools, a pump. Basically it's a 10 to 12 quart resovour with a hand pump and tubing. I go down the dipstick with some +/- 3/8 tubing and hook it up to another tube that is plugged into top of pump. Give a few pumps by hand and create a vacuum. Stand by until fluid is evacuated.. just got a quick question or two?? I'm thinking in order to evacuate trans and torque converter I gotta block some tires and run my truck in neutral.?? How long b4 trans gets to hot when running low fluids in neutral?? Any help is greatly appreciated.