Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ebay fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Beginning Member
gravest is on a distinguished road
Default ebay fuel pump?

I do not know if i need it yet but I do have extended starting issue on my 1998 chevy blazer. The SES light is on but gives me a p0147 code. Would the heater unit cause extended starting? I have put this in a previous post but here is my question. I found a brand new fuel pump on ebay for $60.00. They gaurantee it for as long as I own the vehicle. Is this a good deal or is it not a good idea. I know the adage "you get what you pay for". With a lifetime guarantee how could one go wrong, or is it too good to be true. Did I add the blazer has 260000 miles so my opinion is the cheaper the better if its just going to take a dump in an unknown amount of miles. Anyway! Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 AM
Beginning Member
dallas1 is on a distinguished road

that is a good deal and i would go for it. i got one last week off ebay for the wife's care for $17 free shipping life time. last one i got for mine from auto zone was $210 so yes i would get the ebay one.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't recommend using that pump. Warranty or not, it will fail on you just like the rest of the aftermarket pumps. The only plus for this is that you won't have to pay for the pump again. But you will have to live with the constant fear of when it will let go and have to replace it when it does. How much of a value do you put on your time? How reliable do you need your truck to be?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Yep like swartlkk said,its NOT worth it. They will go bad,ofcourse its a free replacement after you pay for SHIPPING once again,which is what 7-9 bucks? this'll happen every few weeks to few months,after changing it out you will buy beer,drinks etc maybe your friends lunch while he helps you replace it,next thing you know you got a easy 50 bucks in it..

OR go this route,order a delphi or ac delco pump,and not have to worry about this mess again..

I know..trust me...ive been down this road. dont do what i did.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of your time and that of your friends combined with any "supplies" necessary is one thing. Another thing to consider is the cost to your life if the pump dies at an inopportune moment (on the way to a new job interview that could mean a significant change in your financial stability/status, on the way to the hospital due to a friend/family member being injured, etc). While it isn't something that can regularly be quantified, it should be considered in your final decision. This is where my reliability question came from. If you need a vehicle to be reliable all the time, don't cheap out on something that is known to be problematic.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

some guy actually brought in a ebay pump for a astro van into work. comes with a new wiring harness that you have to wire up with no directions. then get it all together and the pump wont turn on, the wiring is correct. so took a hammer banged on the tank a few times and it fired right up so far it hasnt came back but not firing up right out of the box is just a bad sign

Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by abig84
some guy actually brought in a ebay pump for a astro van into work. comes with a new wiring harness that you have to wire up with no directions. then get it all together and the pump wont turn on, the wiring is correct. so took a hammer banged on the tank a few times and it fired right up so far it hasnt came back but not firing up right out of the box is just a bad sign
Got to emphasize that... that's how you get cars with failed fuel pumps home when they run 40 lbs pressure. I dont see that happening in these cars. Not even Walbro pumps work real great in them.. and they're like bulletproof in Fords

But you're supposed to slap the tank with a 2 ft long 2x4

Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The cost of your time and that of your friends combined with any "supplies" necessary is one thing. Another thing to consider is the cost to your life if the pump dies at an inopportune moment (on the way to a new job interview that could mean a significant change in your financial stability/status, on the way to the hospital due to a friend/family member being injured, etc). While it isn't something that can regularly be quantified, it should be considered in your final decision. This is where my reliability question came from. If you need a vehicle to be reliable all the time, don't cheap out on something that is known to be problematic.

I never tought of it that way but what a great way to put it. I do agree with what kyle said and it also put a smile on my face to see the words he put out on this post

Nice work kyle

Old 09-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Beginning Member
gravest is on a distinguished road

Alright guys. I been having my wife do the turn key to on wait three seconds turn back to off and start when cold. Starts right up like nobodies business. Should I could I assume safely that this is that check valve in the pump that does not allow leak back to pump. Should I order my fuel pump now or look somewhere else first? 260000 I'm sure it is not its first pump but have no clue too.

Thanks guys

Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

It could be the regulator too. if its leaking down pressure it''ll have to be primed after sitting. Or could still be the check valve.Do this.

Rent a fuel pressure gauge,connect it to the fuel line where it runs into the fuel filter. Turn the key on,let it sit and see if it looses pressure. If it doesnt,then check the fuel pressure at the engine and see if it looses it there. If it looses it there and not at the fuel filter,its the regulator.

Quick Reply: ebay fuel pump?