Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

EGR Claening

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 04:28 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EGR Claening

How exactly do you clean the egr. Do you clean the inside of the engine too where the egr bolts on?

Old 02-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: EGR Claening

If, when you remove the EGR valve, you see a scaled buildup on the inside of the EGR feed (from the exhaust manifolds - IIRC, this is the bottom hole), then you'll need to clean it out. I have done this with a steel pipe cleaner (3/4" diameter) and some carbon cleaner. Spray the carbon cleaner up the tube and stop it up so it can't come back out. Wait a bit, then spray some more up in there and work at it with the pipe cleaner. I grabbed my pipe cleaner from the maintenance dept at work, but I think someone else came up with anothe source in another thread.

Once you're all said and done, Leave the EGR valve off and start the vehicle only for a quick instant. It will blow any crap that you broke loose out. I believe it was blazingsadle who first recommended starting it with the EGR valve off and it works great to clean out the supply tube. Just don't be standing in front of the truck when you do it and have it pointed in a safe, clear, and hopefully not clean area because it'll spray carbon and crap for quite a ways.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:20 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not understanding this part here
Spray the carbon cleaner up the tube and stop it up so it can't come back out. Wait a bit, then spray some more up in there and work at it with the pipe cleaner
Do you leave the egr connected or disconnected when off the engine?
Do you clean the inside of the egr as well? How is that done? Will it harm the engine when you clean all that carbon from inside the engine?
Leave the EGR valve off and start the vehicle only for a quick instant
Will this improve the engine performance or gas milage?

Old 02-13-2006, 05:32 PM
lovetheblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I was cleaning my EGR valve almost once per month, until swartlkk told me to clean the passage where the EGR gets connected to...I have checked on the EGR a couple of times and it is always clean now...thanks to his advice...

This is what I did:

First thing you gotta do is buy the egr valve gasket, then:
Disconnect negative terminal of the battery
Unscrew both ends of the EGR
Disconnect the EGR (this might be a good time to spray a bit of electrical cleaner to the plug that connects to the EGR)
You will notice that the EGR valve has some passage that will be clogged with carbon...spray the heck out of it with carb cleaner and let it soak down for like 10min., I used cyclo sensor sensitive carb cleaner...
In the meantime, spray carb cleaner to the passage where the EGR connects to...leave it for 10 minutes also...
Get a fine toothbrush and clean the EGR valve, you will get dirty with carbon...
Do the same with the passage where the EGR connects to the engine...if you have a 3/4" steel pipe cleaner, better...
Put the egr back with the NEW gasket
Connect it
Screw it back
Connect the negative terminal of the battery
Start the engine

If it still throws an ses, you prolly need to spend a couple of bucks getting a new one...
This is what I did, and man this helps out on your idle quality and the engine feels livelier now...

Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM
yzf125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where is the EGR valve located on a 2002 blazer ?? I have been told it is in the very front, but that is not the case on mine ??

Old 02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's there, right between the alternator and the thermostat. Here's a pic with it circled and a closer view with the heater hose pulled out of the way:

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/A9B335EFCED747B6A89B01D65905BE5B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/EF88E22885F2424B8F27C344D7230CFA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-15-2006, 10:33 AM

I looked on mine and there is nothing in that place where yours is ?? Did they change things in 2002 ???

Old 02-15-2006, 01:41 PM
lovetheblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe someone told me that the EGR valve is internal since '03???

Old 02-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Just looked in all of the major online parts stores and the EGR valve for a 2000 is the same as the one for the 2002, although they did list another option for the 2002. I guess it is possible that they made a running change in the 2002s. I'm betting yours was built late in the model year.

I'll have to do some searching when I get home this evening to find out where the EGR is in your motor.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:17 PM

Ok thanks, it is well appreciated .

Quick Reply: EGR Claening