Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Beginning Member
20blazer02 is on a distinguished road
Default Electric fan

Has any one put an electric fan in their blazers? As you can see mine is an 02 I want a fan that's not as loud and is only ON when it needs to be, NOT all the time. I heard that a taurus fan will fit since their electric and around the same size radiator but just checking first if any of you have heard, tried, or completed a swap of some sort.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Beginning Member
dagda is on a distinguished road

I put the cooling fan assembly from a Chrysler Concorde in mine about a year ago. I wired it up so that I can control it from a switch that activates a relay for the fan. The power going into the switch is only on when the key is on so I don't kill my battery by forgetting it. The fan assembly fits over the radiator well, and I haven't had any problems with keeping the engine cool. Make sure to use heavy gauge wires and a decent relay.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I run dodge intrepid (concord) fans. Mine is wired to a controller so it comes on at temp and comes on any time the ac is on. I also have it wired to a switch so I can turn them off if I'm in deep water so they don't spray the engine.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

Ive been looking to do this also.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 AM
skotti will become famous soon enough

I have a taurus fan, no controller just a switch. I plan to send my ecm out to enable efan control at some point. You have to buy a good relay for the high side, itll eat em up if there cheap and atleast 60 amp. You can buy heavy duty controllers for these around the net. Ive heard great things about intrepid fans as well. Alot better going one of these routes then buying one of the high priced aftermarket ones, with alot less cfms.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

anyone have pics of this mod and wiring instructions to make it work? also what relays

Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough

I plan on doing these mod hopefully in the next week or so depending on time. I have a dual speed single fan like out of a Taurus that's almost the exact size of my rad. All I need now is a good high/low controller.. Any suggestions?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 AM
dynowhite is on a distinguished road

if your looking for electric fans, check out amazon, they sale kits with temp controllers. im thinking about getting one to cut down a lil noise and add 2hp and less strain on the motor.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:31 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Just put one in my 98 and so far I love it. Quieter feels a bit peppier. I have an adjustable thermostat which Im still fine tuning.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

I have dual electric fans on my truck and I like them but they are less reliable than the OEM fan. Find a fan that pulls enough CFM for your needs. The weak link is the fan controller. Factory electric fans are controlled by the vehicle PCM so when you add electric fans to a car that did not come with them you need a controller to activate the fans. Most controllers are junk. I have melted a couple myself. On the Ford site I belong to some people are using the "Painless" one but I am using the Dakota Digital PAC2700 now. It comes with 70 amp relays which is overkill for most electric fans but rewiring your whole system when you switch relays to another brand is a PITA so I was going for overkill this time. So far so good.

Do your install right. Use the proper gauge wire and solder all your connections. Shrink wrap those connections. Wiring in an over-ride switch is a good idea too, just in case you have controller failure. Taking short cuts on your install will leave you overheating on the side of the road.

Last edited by grizzstang; 12-17-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Electric fan