Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:37 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine coolant leak?

Not sure if this is the place to put this topic..

Anyway, I've looked to see if I can find this problem but haven't found anything like it. So, first I find out my transfer case is leaking. I pull out my tranny fluid dipstick, almost nothing on it. I take it to my mechanic and he said it looks like a weld on my transfer case might have cracked. The next day my dad opens the radiator and takes a look at the fluid, it's disgusting. It's dark brown oily looking smelly fluid, thin as water. It looks nothing like radiator fluid. He took it the shop, and on the way home the truck overheated. I guess because he flushed some of the engine coolant and never refilled it, but when he got home he filled it back up and the engine ran fine. I take the truck out to go to the mall thinking it's running fine, only to notice when I parked in the driveway liquid started pouring out pretty fast. I thought nothing of it figuring it was water, until my dad came home and said it looks like it's more than just water. I smell it, and it smells like engine coolant. I then noticed there was a trail of it going from my driveway up to street. I looked at the engine coolant and it seems fine, took another look at it yesterday and it still seems fine. It's not leaking anymore, but I'm gonna take another look at it later and run the engine to see if it's gonna run hot. Anyone ever have this problem with the engine coolant or radiator fluid? It's horrible dirty murky and oily looking, but still really thin.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Russell.Thompson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Engine coolant leak?

are you checking the coolant in the radiator or are you checking it at the overflow tank. check the hose going to your overflow tank if its empty if not, check your upper and lower hoses, if there not leaking and your still having problems it's probably something worse.

after the coolant flush, you got it home and there wasan't very much antifreeze in the radiator. thats a little strange coming from a repair shop. Also running striaght coolant without water will cause your engine to overheat because when the coolant passes through the radiator it still keeps in the heat from the engine.