Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

from a coolant leak to a oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:01 PM
TAZ454 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default from a coolant leak to a oil leak

I tried some Bars stop leak to see if it would fix the intake gasket leak I think it worked , but now I have oil leaking from some where on top , no coolant on dip stick looks clear . Just a coincidence ????? 98 blazer runs fine stays cool ,, this just happened after one trip, I didnt have any oil leaks before this , photos show oil leaks on floor, any ideas where to look, I thinkits leakingfrom the rear passenger side , Can oil leak thru an intake gasket ??? No more water leak so far, no water in oil .

Old 01-26-2008, 07:47 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: from a coolant leak to a oil leak

Well if its just an intake manifold leak I would just replace it!! Its not that hard of a job if you have the tools, I didmy own! As far as replacement years i would stick with 98+ 4.3's just to be sure, im pretty sure others will work but thats what I would do in order to swap out with a lower mileage motor!!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:08 PM

WHEN YOU CHANGE THE INTAKE GASKET ,CAN YOU JUST MOVE THE AC COMPRERSSOR OUT OF THE WAY OR DO YOU HAVE TO DISCONNECT IT ? WHAT ABOUT DISTRIBUOR ?? SHOULD YOU MARK THE LOCATION OR CAN YOU DROP IT IN ON TDC OF #1CLY ???? ANY OTHER THINGS THAT i SHOUDL KNOW . iVE CHANGED INTAKES BEFORE BUT THEY WERE ALL 70's 350's, DIDNT HAVE ALL THE EXTRAS THIS 4.3 HAS ?? CPU, SENSORS, ETC

Old 01-26-2008, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

The a.c. compressor you can unbolt and move outta your way without disconnecting the lines!! The distributer what I did is take the cap off and mark on the firewall the placement of the rotor with a permanant marker then pull the distributor out!!
https://blazerforum.com/m_47773/tm.htm
Here is the link that will guide you step by step with a tool list to do the job!!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 AM

still leaking, can a rear main be the source ??

Old 01-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Search a bit man! LOL

There are many places that oil could be leaking from (and many that have been described in other threads just like this one).

You have to determine where the oil is coming from first. Possible sources include:
[ul][*]oil pressure sending unit at the back of the block[*]loose oil pan bolts[*]leaking oil cooler lines (if equiped)[*]leaking remote filter lines (if 4wd)[*]leaking rear main seal.[*]leaking valve cover gaskets[*]leaking timing cover gasket[/ul]

That pretty much sums up the leak paths. Time to get dirty!! LOL You may want to degrease your engine so you can get a better picture of where the oil is coming from...