Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine cooling system problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Beginning Member
blazer073 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Engine cooling system problem

Lately I have been having an issue with the water temp gauge rising to 260 almost immediately after starting to drive. It would settle back down at 240 after a moment so I didn't really think anything of it. When i would turn on the heater to see if engine the was even warm yet I got outside air temp air from the vents. I could hear the engine fan and the coolant tank still had plenty of coolant in it. Until a couple days ago the water temp gauge went from 260 to 0 and then I could hear a metallic clinking noise when I accelerated. When i stopped there was steam coming out from under the fan mounting area, and the radiator was air temperature. I know there is a radiator hose that runs under there. Once I get it back to my house I am going to try to check that hose. Is there any thing else that any one can think of that I need to check. I am really hoping this didn't crack the block. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have air in the cooling system. Check the level of coolant in the radiator, not just in the tank. 240F is overheating territory. You shouldn't be too much above 210F.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Beginning Member
blazer073 is on a distinguished road

Well the update to this so far, with a pressure test on the engine it turns out there is something creating a lot of pressure in the engine. It caused a leak at the intake manifold, water pump, and radiator. So the next step is figuring out where the block is that's causing this issue. Anny good guesses where to start looking?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

16psi is the rated pressure in the cooling system. If your cooling system is running at a higher pressure, then the first thing I would look at is the radiator cap. Its main responsibility is to maintain system pressure.