Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine dying when stopping 4.3 V6 Vortec 193HP AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 03:36 AM
Beginning Member
TangoRomeo7688 is on a distinguished road

So, I changed ICM from a running engine, without effort. I also changed spark unit, and MAP sensor and cleaned the throttle bottle. nothing happens. I will change the crankshaft sensor later this day. Maybe it helps. If nothing helps, I will change PCM and BCM from the second car and hope that this will help.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:02 AM
Beginning Member

Lunch time...

I now changed crankshaft sensor, still doesn't fire up.
I controlled 12V and mass of the Inejection unit, that sits on the intake spin.

12v in each six o.K. Mass tacted on each 6 while cranking. So .. there is Spark.. there is signal from PCM to injection unit. There is fuel coming Up the lines.

I guess the injection unit has gone.

What do you think??

Old 08-21-2020, 02:54 PM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Have you checked the fuel pressure?
And how long it holds the pressure after turning off?

Common problem as well. Quick search in the forum should take you to some good posts about that.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member

Yes sir, checked it later this day before we closed our workshop.

Fuel pressure after fuel filter was... Under 45psi, fuel came Up all the way to.the engine, but obviously not enough pressure. Thought filtet was Bad, but took off the fuel tank and tested directly at the pump. Not much better. 48psi

I will test another fuelpump on monday. Have to take it out of the second car first.

I hope I am on the right path now...

Old 08-21-2020, 03:05 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TangoRomeo7688
Yes sir, checked it later this day before we closed our workshop.

Fuel pressure after fuel filter was... Under 45psi, fuel came Up all the way to.the engine, but obviously not enough pressure. Thought filtet was Bad, but took off the fuel tank and tested directly at the pump. Not much better. 48psi

I will test another fuelpump on monday. Have to take it out of the second car first.

I hope I am on the right path now...
Its probably not the fuel pump

Old 08-22-2020, 04:44 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Billy1820
Its probably not the fuel pump
And what is your opinion what it IS?

Old 08-22-2020, 05:41 AM
Beginning Member

Can someone Tell me where to find the fuel pressure regulator?

And where does this vacuum hose is connected to?
All vacuum lines hold vac, except this one.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TangoRomeo7688
Can someone Tell me where to find the fuel pressure regulator?

And where does this vacuum hose is connected to?
All vacuum lines hold vac, except this one.
The FPR is inside the intake manifold attached to the back of the injection spider main body which is the plastic body that the stainless steel fuel lines mount into in the center of the intake manifold between the throttle body and the distributor.

If you have the hose attached to the vacuum reservoir in the driver side fender (I assume that might be the red hose?), then the hose pictured most likely is the line that runs in to the cab for the HVAC controls. If that is a hard plastic line, be VERY careful with it as they can get brittle with age and do not like to move. Attach a new rubber vacuum line to this using either an 1/8" or 3/16" barb straight fitting and then tee that short piece of flexible line into the vacuum line running to the reservoir. This will limit the potential for damage to the hard plastic line due to movement of the rest of the vacuum line during any maintenance that gets done in the future. THIS POST by Captain Hook has an image showing the line I am speaking of with all of the other lines running off of it.

The hose to the HVAC system should hold vacuum, but it may require some pump down depending on the settings in the HVAC controls. Actuators will return to their default locations with loss of vacuum and will need to be moved back to their set positions when vacuum is reapplied. If the system will not hold vacuum even after pumping it down for a good bit, then you have a leak somewhere in that system.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:17 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The FPR is inside the intake manifold attached to the back of the injection spider main body which is the plastic body that the stainless steel fuel lines mount into in the center of the intake manifold between the throttle body and the distributor.

If you have the hose attached to the vacuum reservoir in the driver side fender (I assume that might be the red hose?), then the hose pictured most likely is the line that runs in to the cab for the HVAC controls. If that is a hard plastic line, be VERY careful with it as they can get brittle with age and do not like to move. Attach a new rubber vacuum line to this using either an 1/8" or 3/16" barb straight fitting and then tee that short piece of flexible line into the vacuum line running to the reservoir. This will limit the potential for damage to the hard plastic line due to movement of the rest of the vacuum line during any maintenance that gets done in the future. THIS POST by Captain Hook has an image showing the line I am speaking of with all of the other lines running off of it.

The hose to the HVAC system should hold vacuum, but it may require some pump down depending on the settings in the HVAC controls. Actuators will return to their default locations with loss of vacuum and will need to be moved back to their set positions when vacuum is reapplied. If the system will not hold vacuum even after pumping it down for a good bit, then you have a leak somewhere in that system.
Hi, First of all, thanks for your answer.
This short piece goes into the wire harness and from there with a hard line to the Cab,.yes.

Can you please write down what HVAC stands for? I am not familiar with all US short words.

IT is by the way already connected to a T fitting and there are connected the red ones which go to the Vacuum Box in the left Fender and to the engine. Also a black one is connected, going down behind the engine, I think to the gearbox.

Is the FPR connected to the brake System by a 1/2 thick hose?

Old 08-22-2020, 06:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

HVAC = Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning

The FPR is not connected to the brake system in any way nor does it have a vacuum line running to it so you shouldn't have to worry about it. As it is located inside the intake manifold itself, it is in the vacuum source.

Quick Reply: Engine dying when stopping 4.3 V6 Vortec 193HP AWD