Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine Help - 92 Full Size 4x4 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:02 PM
OkieCory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine Help - 92 Full Size 4x4 Blazer

Sad day.. I got a good deal on a full size 92 4x4 Blazer that needed a Tranny. Got a new transmission put in and drove her for about 9 months.. While driving to work the other day (30 miles on highway) It over headed and started running rough. Pulled over and got a lift into work (was almost there). We went back thinking the thermastat had gone out and were going to move it off the highway since it had 8 hours to cool off. When it started up is was running HORRIBLY bad. After inspection noticed some corrosion on a hose that was coming out near the back of the engine on the bottom near the firewall.

Now.. All I know about automobiles is how to put gas in em and change the oil. Beyond that I am about clueless. I need some help, suggestions, or a point in the right direction.

1 of 2 things happened... I am thinking the water leaked out all over the hot engine and cracked either a head or the block. Either way I don't know where to start to fix it. This is not really a daily driver. I live at the lake and this care puts the boat in the water and is driving during snow and bad weather. I don't need it souped up.. really just want it running for the occasional highway trip to work in the snow.

I know it has a 350. Would you replace the heads first? before the block? How do I difinetaively tell if it is the heads or the block? If I was to replace the motor (it just rolled 200K so might need to just think about replacing it anyway) where do I start? Can anyone suggest a place? If I search on car sites, ebay, and the like.. are there specific questions I should ask to make sure it will fit?

That is my fear.. I will by a "350" and it wont fit the transmission.. or this or that.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

OkieCory
Lost In Oklahoma

Old 09-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Engine Help - 92 Full Size 4x4 Blazer

I bet a head gasket let loose. Should not be too bad to have repaired.

If you were going to replace the motor, a crate 350 should not be all that bad. I do not know what a shop would charge to install one. As far as places to get it fixed, I would ask friends, family, and/or co-workers for shops that they have used before.