Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine Idle Help....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Blahman20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine Idle Help....

Hello...I just traded a 1998 Sunfire for 1995 Blazer 4x4 4door (pretty good deal, eh? lol). Well, the Blazer runs fine at high RPM's (1000+), but at IDLE and stop it idles very erractly and stalls at times. I have a few ideas what it might be (EGR Valve, IDLE Sensor, Catatylic Converter, Oxygen Sensor)...however this is a broad spectrum of things. I was just wondering if anybody else had a problem like this, and what it turned out to be?? Other than that it runs well. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated (as I have to get it emission tested and on the road within a few weeks). Thanks a lot

Anthony.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:06 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Engine Idle Help....

Welcome to the site. Good deal, yes.

Are you getting a Check Engine light on the dash board?
It does come on when you first start the truck right?

How many miles on the truck?
When was the last time it had a tune up?
That would be the first thing I would do. Tune up. New AC Delce plugs, wires, cap & rotor, air filter, fuel filter, PVC, and inspect all the vacuum lines, replace as needed.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 AM

The check engine light doesn't come on while i'm driving...I'm not 100% sure if it comes on when I first turn it on or not. It has pretty high KM's (300,000), but so did the Sunfire. I am not sure that lasttime it was tuned up, I believe it had been sitting for quite awhile so maybe I should do all those things before I go any further. I was thinking about taking and putting it under the "scope" to see what was wrong with it, I may still do that. Should I run some fuel injector cleaner through it?? I am pretty positive it didn't have this idle problem before, but since i've been running it...it's been acting up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, thanks a lot.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:30 AM

The Engine light does flash on when I first start it, but it goes off. I'm guessing that means it's working....but it doesn't stay on or anything.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:01 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Blahman20

The check engine light doesn't come on while i'm driving...I'm not 100% sure if it comes on when I first turn it on or not. It has pretty high KM's (300,000), but so did the Sunfire. I am not sure that lasttime it was tuned up, I believe it had been sitting for quite awhile so maybe I should do all those things before I go any further. I was thinking about taking and putting it under the "scope" to see what was wrong with it, I may still do that. Should I run some fuel injector cleaner through it?? I am pretty positive it didn't have this idle problem before, but since i've been running it...it's been acting up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, thanks a lot.
Good info.
No light while driving and it does come on when starting up is a good thing. No codes stored.
Sitting for quite a while plus the lack of codes leads me to think a fuel related issue. Run a couple cans of fuel system cleaner along with premium gas for the next several tanks and see how it does.
High miles and not knowing when the last tune up was. Yea, it would be a great idea to give it a tune up, if nothing else then to rule them out as possibilities.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:04 AM

Just throwing something else out there....before I got the Blazer I noticed when it was cold it was idling up very high (It was also pretty cold out) then as the truck got warmer the idle would come down. I am not sure if this gives you guys anymore ideas, but just giving some more info.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 AM

Ohhh...and another thing. The first day that I had it, and was driving it around...after I shut it down it had foul smell to it, like rotten eggs. I haven't smelled it since, i'm not sure if that was just because it had been sitting for awhile or not....

Old 04-11-2007, 08:36 PM

Well today I really noticed that under 1000 rpm's if you give it gas real quick and then let off real quick...it bogs and nearly stalls. It definitely seems like a fuel problem to me....any other thoughts?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:18 AM
BF Veteran

Rotten egg smeel is the cat, however since it hasn't come back, its probale fine.
Why was it parked and let sit for a while? Did they have tourble with it and just park it?

High idle when cold is fine, IAC is doing its job.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 AM

I have no clue why it was sitting to be honest. I bought new plugs for it today...going to get the cap and rotor on the weekend along with new wires. Going to get all that on there on the weekend (wow they really jammed a lot of stuff under that hood eh?? looks hard to work on).

Quick Reply: Engine Idle Help....