Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine overheating while driving home form work tonight

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Starting Member
98Ltblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Engine overheating while driving home form work tonight

So im driving home from work and i notice my tempature gauge is reading hot 260 degrees and my check gauges light goes on.. few minutes of driving passes it goes down to about 235 than 260 goes up and down every few minutes.
After a few minutes pass the gauge just goes to 100 degrees and my service engine soon light turns on. than i give it gas and it hesitates to move and sounds like a rattling in the engine area and i see a little smoke come out of the back. at this point i was by my house so i made it home fine..

Now this past monday (4 days ago) i flushed the radiator with dexcool and it was the pinkish color.. my father sais that its leaking out of the radiator cap because when we had flushed it the cap broke but it still tightens fine

someone help me out.? Im afraid to drive this thing to work tomorow

btw this all happened to me in the past 60 minutes

and i just installed my HIDs today idk if that helps

Last edited by 98Ltblazer; 04-15-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Starting Member

come on guys help me out

i just got back from walmart i picked up dexcool but the greenish kind

Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Damn man, show a little bit of patience. You couldn't even wait 2 hours...

Air in the cooling system? When was the last time you did a cooling system service?

Kind of basic questions...

Old 04-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Beginning Member
swizznuker is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you may have an intake manifold leak. Whenever you flush dexcool, you buy two new caps. One for flushing, and one more for the long haul. This info is coming from GM directly. When you start the truck up, run it for a minute or two and then put your hand over the tailpipe. If your motor is sucking up coolant the exhaust should be wet.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Damn man, show a little bit of patience. You couldn't even wait 2 hours...

Air in the cooling system? When was the last time you did a cooling system service?

Kind of basic questions...

sorry man i get weirded out when i cant figure something out so my apologies.

I called out of work today because a lot of my drive is uphill and curvy and not much space to pull over, but i went for as small drive to get gas and my tempature gauge sais 260 but when i got home i opened the hood and the engine wasnt overheating it felt normal but i did notice a little antifreeze came out of the radiator cap so im replacing it and my thermostat hoping thatll cure the problem

Old 04-16-2010, 12:20 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Are you positive you are reading the correct tempurature? I'm pretty sure there should be two temp sending units. One is for the guage which is just an indicator for driver peace-of-mind(located near thermostat). The other should be located on one of the cylinder heads(this one used for the ECM/ECU). If you have a dirty/damaged/or broken connection you will get false readings.

Since the fan is mechanical... at least on my '95. That should work unless the clutch is bad, which could cause overheating, or else you have a problem with the cooling system. Could have a large bubble in the head that contains the temp sensor.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Starting Member
Default is this the proper themostat to buy?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=48844

Old 04-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On the older models (pre-98) the gauge sending unit is in the head & PCM sensor is near the thermostat. Newer 98+ models, everything is combined into one multi-wire sensor located in the driver side cylinder head.

An air bubble at the gauge is a possibility, but air in the system is not good. Doesn't cool very well.

I would do a full service on the system (flush, new t-stat, new cap, and a fill with 50/50 coolant/distilled water) and see where that gets you.

Looks like it. Get yourself a Stant Safety cap while you are at it.

*Combining back into your thread on your overheating issues*

Old 04-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Starting Member

those 2 pics i just took a few minutes ago.. engine sais 260 but it feels cool im not sure whats going on but im going 2 reflush it again and put new caps on it

Attached Thumbnails Engine overheating while driving home form work tonight-photo-2-2-.jpg   Engine overheating while driving home form work tonight-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 04-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Yeah, well, your truck thinks its over heating.

How fast does it take to get there? Anything that may indicate a bad sensor?

Have you had the codes read (check engine light is on)?

Quick Reply: Engine overheating while driving home form work tonight